Wingate & Finchley captain rues missed chances in goalless draw against Leatherhead
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley were left wondering how they had failed to score after being held to a frustrating goalless draw at home against Leatherhead on Saturday, which left them two points outside the play-off spots in the Ryman League Premier Division.
The Blues had been knocked out of the London Senior Cup in their previous outing, going down 2-1 at Cray Valley last Wednesday, so an improved defensive display was pleasing – but Weatherstone felt his side could have got more.
“It was quite disappointing,” he said. “We had a great defensive shape but it was one of those games where it didn’t go for us going forward.
“I feel it’s two points dropped rather than a point gained, but it was another clean sheet and we bounced back from Wednesday night.’’
Wingate’s woes began in the second minute as Rob Laney went around but missed the target, and Scott Shulton beat the keeper but saw his effort cleared off the line.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides had further chances but the first half ended goalless, and it was the same story in the second period. Laney couldn’t connect properly in the box and Ola Sogbanmu was denied by an incredible save from six yards out.
Blues keeper Bobby Smith also had to make two fine stops at the other end but Wingate went closest in the closing stages, with Laney and Oliyide forcing two more saves and substitute Jack Read’s effort being cleared off the line.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 5 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 8 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue