Wingate & Finchley captain admits 13th-place finish is ‘very disappointing’
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley ended their campaign with a 4-0 defeat at Billericay Town and captain Marc Weatherstone admits the 13th-place finish is “very disappointing”.
The Blues were aiming to climb into the top 10 on the final day of the Ryman League Premier Division season, but they were 3-0 down after 26 minutes in Essex as Tom Derry scored an early hat-trick, and Conor Hubble added a fourth goal late on.
Weatherstone said: “I’m not happy with the 13th-place finish. Last season we finished 12th – obviously it’s not improvement. Every year you try to beat the position you’re at, or the points, and unfortunately this year it hasn’t been the case.
“To be in the bottom half of the table is very disappointing but we’ll go into next year with a better mindset.
“The manager [Keith Rowland] will have a full season, we have to start well and hopefully we’ll finish in the top half next year.
You may also want to watch:
“Our plan was to get into the play-offs this year. Unfortunately it wasn’t the case but we have the ability in the squad and hopefully, depending on who comes in, we’ll have the ability to go into the play-offs next year.”
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 4 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 5 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 7 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 8 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 9 All's Well That Ends Well – al fresco
- 10 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'