Wingate crash out of county cup to Brentford
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Middlesex County Cup: Wingate & Finchley 0 Brentford 1
Wingate & Finchley crashed out of the Middlesex County Cup in the quarter-finals with a narrow 1-0 defeat to Brentford.
A 47th minute strike from 18-year-old Brentford B forward Gustav Mogensen sealed the Bees progress while the Blues exit that competition.
It was a bright start for the hosts as Sean Grace had the ball in the back of the net in the third minute of play but it was ruled out for offside.
Moments later Fredrik Hammar forced Fergal Hale-Brown into a good save out for a corner, which was deflected for another corner, before Wingate eventually cleared.
In the 28th minute Brentford had the ball in the back of the net, tapping in from Hale-Brown's parry but it was adjudged offside.
They went into the break goalless but it only took two minutes from the restart for the visitors to score as Mogensen was played through and kept his composure to slot the ball past Hale-Brown.
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 3 Barnet, Camden and Haringey receive boost for low vaccine uptake
- 4 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 5 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 6 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 7 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 8 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 9 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 10 'Facile questions and ludicrous voices of opposition for "balance"'
The Danish youngster then nearly doubled his rally but Hale-Brown made a smart stop to keep the header out and give Wingate a life line.
Hale-Brown then pulled off a few more saves before Wingate had another chance of their own in the 84th minute as Alan Fleming took the ball down and shot, with Grace having a go from the rebound.
They couldn't find an equaliser and Brentford progress into the semi-finals.
Wingate & Finchley: Hale-Brown, Ifil, Farrell, Oluwatimilehin, Eales (Sayoud 82), Grace, Ruff, Tejan-Sie (Platt 62), Akinsanya, Jellis (Fleming 68), Kennedy.
Unused subs: Wood-Garness and Gore.