Wingate & Finchley seal Trophy victory over Bowers & Pitsea
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Velocity Trophy: Wingate & Finchley 2 Bowers & Pitsea 0
Wingate & Finchley nabbed a 2-0 victory over their Isthmian Premier rivals Bowers & Pitsea in the Velocity Trophy to make it back-to-back cup wins.
Goals from Alan Fleming and Charlie Ruff sealed the win for Wingate against Bowers who went down to 10-men just before the half-time break at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Fleming converted from close range from Luke fil's cross, as his effort went in off the post to give them a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute.
Two minutes later attacker Ruff set himself before firing past former Hornchurch goalkeeper Callum Chafer inside the box to make it 2-0 which they took into the half-time break.
Callum Leahy as wsent off for the visitors after bringing down Fleming just outside the box in the 47th minute of the match.
Shortly after Ruff had an effort denied from point blank range and pushed out for a corner, but nothing came from it.
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 3 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 4 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 5 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 6 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 7 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 8 How the battle for Hampstead Heath inspired the National Trust
- 9 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 10 Fire brigade extinguish St Pancras station electrical fire
Wingate had a number of chances but Bowers held firm and defender well with 10-men in the latter stages of the match.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Abrahams (O'Keefe 68), Rifat (Oluwatimilehin 67), Hall (Njie 77), Grace, Ochieng, Tejan-Sie (Platt 63), Fleming, Ruff (Dupray 81), Kennedy.
Bowers & Pitsea: Chafer, Wind, Stephen, Dicks (Hine 90), Lee, Leahy, Monville (McCoy 77), Sartain, Manor, Trendall, Sims (Baker 51).
Unused subs: Thomas.