Wingate & Finchley seal Trophy victory over Bowers & Pitsea
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Velocity Trophy: Wingate & Finchley 2 Bowers & Pitsea 0
Wingate & Finchley nabbed a 2-0 victory over their Isthmian Premier rivals Bowers & Pitsea in the Velocity Trophy to make it back-to-back cup wins.
Goals from Alan Fleming and Charlie Ruff sealed the win for Wingate against Bowers who went down to 10-men just before the half-time break at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Fleming converted from close range from Luke fil's cross, as his effort went in off the post to give them a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute.
Two minutes later attacker Ruff set himself before firing past former Hornchurch goalkeeper Callum Chafer inside the box to make it 2-0 which they took into the half-time break.
You may also want to watch:
Callum Leahy as wsent off for the visitors after bringing down Fleming just outside the box in the 47th minute of the match.
Shortly after Ruff had an effort denied from point blank range and pushed out for a corner, but nothing came from it.
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 3 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 4 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 5 Amazon Fresh convenience store without tills opens in Chalk Farm
- 6 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 7 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 8 Hampstead Heath memorial to the band of brothers who fought fascism
- 9 Parliament Hill Lido Café on 'heartwarming' business life in Hampstead Heath
- 10 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside Hornsey block
Wingate had a number of chances but Bowers held firm and defender well with 10-men in the latter stages of the match.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Abrahams (O'Keefe 68), Rifat (Oluwatimilehin 67), Hall (Njie 77), Grace, Ochieng, Tejan-Sie (Platt 63), Fleming, Ruff (Dupray 81), Kennedy.
Bowers & Pitsea: Chafer, Wind, Stephen, Dicks (Hine 90), Lee, Leahy, Monville (McCoy 77), Sartain, Manor, Trendall, Sims (Baker 51).
Unused subs: Thomas.