Wingate & Finchley seal Trophy victory over Bowers & Pitsea
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Velocity Trophy: Wingate & Finchley 2 Bowers & Pitsea 0
Wingate & Finchley nabbed a 2-0 victory over their Isthmian Premier rivals Bowers & Pitsea in the Velocity Trophy to make it back-to-back cup wins.
Goals from Alan Fleming and Charlie Ruff sealed the win for Wingate against Bowers who went down to 10-men just before the half-time break at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Fleming converted from close range from Luke fil's cross, as his effort went in off the post to give them a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute.
Two minutes later attacker Ruff set himself before firing past former Hornchurch goalkeeper Callum Chafer inside the box to make it 2-0 which they took into the half-time break.
Callum Leahy as wsent off for the visitors after bringing down Fleming just outside the box in the 47th minute of the match.
Shortly after Ruff had an effort denied from point blank range and pushed out for a corner, but nothing came from it.
- 1 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 2 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 3 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 4 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 5 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 6 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 7 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 8 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 9 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 10 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
Wingate had a number of chances but Bowers held firm and defender well with 10-men in the latter stages of the match.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Abrahams (O'Keefe 68), Rifat (Oluwatimilehin 67), Hall (Njie 77), Grace, Ochieng, Tejan-Sie (Platt 63), Fleming, Ruff (Dupray 81), Kennedy.
Bowers & Pitsea: Chafer, Wind, Stephen, Dicks (Hine 90), Lee, Leahy, Monville (McCoy 77), Sartain, Manor, Trendall, Sims (Baker 51).
Unused subs: Thomas.