Wingate fall short despite strong effort against Stortford
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Isthmian Premier League: Wingate & Finchley 1 Bishop’s Stortford 2
Wingate & Finchley crashed to a narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Bishop's Stortford to keep them in the bottom three of the Isthmian Premier League.
Early goals from Ryan Henshaw and Shomari Barnwell sealed the three points for Jamie Cureton's side despite Tommy Tejan-Sie clawing one back for the Blues at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
In the 11th minute the visitors broke the deadlock as Alfie Mason's floated corner to the far post was headed back across by Ryan Henshaw and dipped inside the net.
Two minutes later Shomari Barnwell cut inside from the right and fired a shot into the top corner to give his side a 2-0 lead.
Wingate did however pull one back in the 32nd minute as Eoin McKeown and Alphanso Kennedy linked up nicely before Tejan-Sie guided the ball home after latching onto a cross from the latter.
Moments later and they almost levelled the score as Kennedy's shot rolled past Frederick Burbidge but was hacked off the line.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 4 Tottenham boss Antonio Conte looking to revamp squad in transfer windows
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 7 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 8 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 9 PLU: St John's Wood restaurant finds the right formula
- 10 Movement off the ball key to Arsenal's win against Newcastle
Wingate piled the pressure on in the second-half with a number of chances but couldn't convert any of them which meant they fell to a 2-1 defeat.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Abrahams, Rifat, Forino-Joseph, Grace, Fleming (Michael-Percil 63), Ochieng (Ruff 71), McKeown, Tejan-Sie, Kennedy.
Unused subs: Oluwatimilehin, Njie, Dupray.
Bishop's Stortford: Burbidge, Sampayo, Thomas, Henshaw, Charles (Greene 67), Warman, Chiedozie (Cureton 80), Mason, Haines, Gregan, Barnwell.
Unused subs: Mycroft-Edwards, Robbins, Johnson.