Wingate lose five-goal thriller to Beaconsfield in opening pre-season match
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Despite goals from new signings Tim Monsheju and David Manu, the Blues lost on Saturday, but will return to action on Tuesday
Wingate & Finchley lost 3-2 to Beaconsfield in their first pre-season game of the 2018/19 campaign.
The game, which took place at Barnet Lane, kicked off at 11am because of England’s quarter-final tie with Sweden later in the day.
Beaconsfield took the lead after 26 minutes and made it 2-0 four minutes later after a mix up in the hosts’ penalty area.
Summer signing Tim Monsheju, formerly of Witham Town, did pull one back for the Blues in the 36th minute.
You may also want to watch:
David Manu, who joined the club at the beginning of June, rounded the visitors goalie and crossed in for Monsheju to head home.
It remained 2-1 to Beaconsfield at the break, but they didn’t need long to extend their advantage after the restart with a third goal arriving in the 48th minute.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 8 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
Wingate did reduce the arrears again just past the hour mark when Manu composed himself and fired into the top corner.
Despite pushing for a leveller, the Blues couldn’t produce a sixth goal of the game and lost out by a 3-2 scoreline.
The Maurice Rebak Stadium club are next in action on Tuesday night, again at Barnet Lane, when they host Kings Langley in a 7.45pm kick-off.