Wingate lose five-goal thriller to Beaconsfield in opening pre-season match
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Despite goals from new signings Tim Monsheju and David Manu, the Blues lost on Saturday, but will return to action on Tuesday
Wingate & Finchley lost 3-2 to Beaconsfield in their first pre-season game of the 2018/19 campaign.
The game, which took place at Barnet Lane, kicked off at 11am because of England’s quarter-final tie with Sweden later in the day.
Beaconsfield took the lead after 26 minutes and made it 2-0 four minutes later after a mix up in the hosts’ penalty area.
Summer signing Tim Monsheju, formerly of Witham Town, did pull one back for the Blues in the 36th minute.
David Manu, who joined the club at the beginning of June, rounded the visitors goalie and crossed in for Monsheju to head home.
It remained 2-1 to Beaconsfield at the break, but they didn’t need long to extend their advantage after the restart with a third goal arriving in the 48th minute.
- 2 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 3 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 4 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 5 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 6 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
Wingate did reduce the arrears again just past the hour mark when Manu composed himself and fired into the top corner.
Despite pushing for a leveller, the Blues couldn’t produce a sixth goal of the game and lost out by a 3-2 scoreline.
The Maurice Rebak Stadium club are next in action on Tuesday night, again at Barnet Lane, when they host Kings Langley in a 7.45pm kick-off.