FA Trophy: Chippenham Town 1 Wingate & Finchley 1
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley came from behind against Chippenham Town at Hardenhuish Park to set-up a Buildbase FA Trophy third qualifying round replay at Summers Lane on Tuesday.
The hosts put themselves ahead after five minutes, just when the visitors were on the front foot, as Nick McCootie broke down the left and crossed to Nat Jarvis, who slid in from close.
With 17 minutes gone, Reece-Beckles Richards’ free-kick came back off the wall and from the rebound, he saw his low strike evade the left post.
The north Londoners had their initial, most promising chance three minutes on as Luke Ifil charged down the right and clipped a cross into the box for Rob Laney to leap highest, yet head straight at Brad House.
Laney and Beckles-Richards exchanged passes, prior to the latter seeing his threaded pass to Charlie Cole be smothered by House on 37 minutes.
And two minutes into injury time Karnell Chambers’ strike needed stout defending from Ifil and Ola Williams to keep it out.
Four minutes after the restart, Curtis McDonald overlapped on the left and cut inside, before striking low and evading the left post by inches.
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 3 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 4 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 6 Unarmed man shot by police during prison break was ‘lawfully killed’
- 7 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 8 Father's fear autistic son will 'dive through' window of unsafe West Hampstead home
- 9 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 10 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
And two minutes on, it was all square as Laney headed to Tommy Tejan-Sie, whose cutting pass picked out Cole’s breakaway run on the inside left and he finished low into the far corner.
Jack Compton’s crisp, whipped cross was steered away by a concentrated Sean Cronin, who had Jarvis over his shoulder waiting to pounce on 65 minutes.
And another 10 minutes passed before a Beckles-Richards’ corner from the left was met by Cronin, whose header skimmed past the far post following a slight deflection.
Eight minutes from time, Glen Little’s side almost put themselves in front as Beckles-Richards sent a defence-splitting pass through to Lewis Putman, who manoeuvred past House but Callum Gunner denied the striker finding the net.
In the 90th minute, Compton’s long throw found Kieran Parselle at the far post, but he skied over.
Then in the fourth minute of added time, Laney nodded forward for Putman to shimmy past Will Richards and McDonald – yet on the slide – evaded the post by inches.
Wingate: Gore, Ifil, Hernandez, Williams, Cronin, Weatherstone, Mitchell (O’Neill 85), Tejan-Sie, Laney, Cole (Putman 76), Beckles-Richards. Unused subs: Monsheju, Manu, Ebelebe.