Bostik Premier: Wingate & Finchley 2 Corinthian Casuals 0

Wingate and Finchley beat Corinthians Casuals 2-0 at the Maurice Rebak stadium. Photo: Liam Coleman

Wingate and Finchley beat Corinthians Casuals 2-0 at the Maurice Rebak stadium. Photo: Liam Coleman - Credit: Liam Coleman

The Blues carried on from their midweek FA Trophy scalp over Chippenham Town with three points against Corinthian Casuals.

Wingate and Finchley carried on from their impressive FA Trophy win in mid-week with a 2-0 victory over Corinthian Casuals.

Three points was behind the first door of the Blues advent calendar, after skipper Sean Cronin fired home after 20 minutes, and Reece Mitchell doubled their lead in the second half.

Casuals – one of the form teams in the Bostik Premier - came into the game having won their last six league games, while goals from Rob Laney, Reece Beckles Richards and Luke Ifil saw the home side claim the scalp of National League South side Chippenham Town on Tuesday night.

Wingate looked in control of the opening exchanges, and Beckles Richards whistled an effort past the post after nine minutes.

Corinthians should have took the lead when a good through ball from Mu Maan found Gabriel Odunaike who then pulled the ball back for strike partner Warren Mfula, but the former Dartford man slid in and skied the ball over the bar.

There were cries for a penalty from the Blues fans when Reece Mitchell was brought down right on the edge of the area after 12 minutes. From the resulting free-kick the ball was in the back of the net after Marc Weatherstone’s flicked near post header was tapped in by Charlie Cole – but the flag was up and Cole was adjudged to be offside.

Most Read

Wingate finally took the lead after 20 minutes through captain Sean Cronin.

The ball fell to him from a corner at the back post, and the Wingate captain blasted through a crowd of players and past Daniel Bracken in the Casuals goal.

Just before the half-hour mark a breakaway move from Corinthians saw the ball pulled back to Mfula again, but the Casuals strikers’ effort was cleared off the line by Cronin.

After 33 minutes Loic Hernandez hung the ball up at the back post for Rob Laney but he couldn’t get over the ball enough and his header was inches wide of the post.

Laney rose above his man at the back post again just before half time, but he was too close to the goal and his effort landed in the roof of the net.

Wingate doubled their lead just before the hour when Reece Mitchell slid the ball home across goal, after a great run from Beckles Richards from inside his own half before he fed the former Torquay and Chesterfield man.

Casuals had looked the better side in the second half, with seven corners since the restart, but the visitors couldn’t find the back of the net.

After 70 minutes Juevan Spencer made a storming run forward from full back and broke into the Wingate box, but he was at full stretch and was rushed by Gore, as his effort clipped the cross bar.

With just over 10 minutes left, a free-kick from Coskun Ekim about 25 yards out forced Wingate stopper Shane Gore to make a great save with his legs.

Casuals fought back in the last 10 minutes, but still couldn’t break their duck, and despite conceding 15 goals in their last five league games, they held out for a clean sheet.

Wingate and Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Hernandez, Williams, Cronin, Weatherstone, Mitchell (Ruff 72) Tejan-Sie, Cole (Putman 66) Laney, Beckles-Richards.

Subs not used: Stewart, O’Neill, Bihmoutine.

Corinthian Casuals: Bracken, Spencer, Tucker, Strange, Antonio, Ekim, Oldham (Serbony 77) Mann, Odunaike, Mfula (Dillan 66) Clarke.

Subs not used: McAllister, Adelakum, Phillip.