Winchester rifle West in 10-goal shoot-out
West Hampstead were edged out in a 10-goal thriller on Saturday at Winchester in the South League premier division. West initially dictated the pace of the game and took the lead when skipper Adam Ross converted a penalty-corner for his first goal of the
West Hampstead were edged out in a 10-goal thriller on Saturday at Winchester in the South League premier division.
West initially dictated the pace of the game and took the lead when skipper Adam Ross converted a penalty-corner for his first goal of the season.
However, Winchester hit back with three goals in quick succession before Fabian Kutt pulled one back for West just before the break.
A rousing half-time talk by coach Chris Rowholt was put into immediate action and West won a controversial penalty stroke after Tom Green was impeded in the penalty area. Timur Asar stepped up to score.
Stalwart defender Mike Hartley, who had not scored for the club in six seasons, then rifled in from the top of the area. A momentary lapse of concentration at the other end, however, resulted in Ross being sin-binned for a cynical foul.
Winchester took full advantage, scoring twice in four minutes.
- 1 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 2 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 3 Barnet, Camden and Haringey receive boost for low vaccine uptake
- 4 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 5 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 6 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 7 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 8 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 9 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 10 'Our walking and cycling plan will make Haringey safer and cleaner'
And Kutt was denied by an astonishing save from the home keeper, before a late strike from Winchester made it 6-4.