Winchester rifle West in 10-goal shoot-out
West Hampstead were edged out in a 10-goal thriller on Saturday at Winchester in the South League premier division. West initially dictated the pace of the game and took the lead when skipper Adam Ross converted a penalty-corner for his first goal of the
West Hampstead were edged out in a 10-goal thriller on Saturday at Winchester in the South League premier division.
West initially dictated the pace of the game and took the lead when skipper Adam Ross converted a penalty-corner for his first goal of the season.
However, Winchester hit back with three goals in quick succession before Fabian Kutt pulled one back for West just before the break.
A rousing half-time talk by coach Chris Rowholt was put into immediate action and West won a controversial penalty stroke after Tom Green was impeded in the penalty area. Timur Asar stepped up to score.
You may also want to watch:
Stalwart defender Mike Hartley, who had not scored for the club in six seasons, then rifled in from the top of the area. A momentary lapse of concentration at the other end, however, resulted in Ross being sin-binned for a cynical foul.
Winchester took full advantage, scoring twice in four minutes.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 4 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
And Kutt was denied by an astonishing save from the home keeper, before a late strike from Winchester made it 6-4.