Winchester rifle West in 10-goal shoot-out
West Hampstead were edged out in a 10-goal thriller on Saturday at Winchester in the South League premier division. West initially dictated the pace of the game and took the lead when skipper Adam Ross converted a penalty-corner for his first goal of the
West Hampstead were edged out in a 10-goal thriller on Saturday at Winchester in the South League premier division.
West initially dictated the pace of the game and took the lead when skipper Adam Ross converted a penalty-corner for his first goal of the season.
However, Winchester hit back with three goals in quick succession before Fabian Kutt pulled one back for West just before the break.
A rousing half-time talk by coach Chris Rowholt was put into immediate action and West won a controversial penalty stroke after Tom Green was impeded in the penalty area. Timur Asar stepped up to score.
You may also want to watch:
Stalwart defender Mike Hartley, who had not scored for the club in six seasons, then rifled in from the top of the area. A momentary lapse of concentration at the other end, however, resulted in Ross being sin-binned for a cynical foul.
Winchester took full advantage, scoring twice in four minutes.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 9 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 10 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
And Kutt was denied by an astonishing save from the home keeper, before a late strike from Winchester made it 6-4.