West Hampstead settle for a draw in eight-goal thriller
Purley Walcountians 4 West Hampstead 4 WEST Hampstead failed to benefit from an early lead and were held to a draw in their South Hockey league division two clash with Purley Walcountians in Surrey on Saturday. West sought to build on last weeks 5-2 demo
Purley Walcountians 4
West Hampstead 4
WEST Hampstead failed to benefit from an early lead and were held to a draw in their South Hockey league division two clash with Purley Walcountians in Surrey on Saturday.
West sought to build on last weeks 5-2 demolition of Ashford where Jack Beard and Jason Brooks each bagged a brace to surge to within two points of league leaders Wimbledon.
But despite Jamie Dru's men racing to an early lead with another brace from the prolific Beard they were unable to repel the hosts who fought back to snatch a late draw.
"To score four goals we would have expected to win the game," midfielder Jason Booth said.
- 1 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 5 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 6 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 7 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 8 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
"We played well in patches and opened them up a lot and stayed cool in front of goal. But three of their goals came from penalty corners and this in something that we must address in training.
"We have already beaten the teams who have been beating Purley and the three points would have been good [for our hopes of promotion].
"But the team spirit is good and Wimbledon were held to a draw Richmond so we are only three points behind Gore Court, the new leaders. We must now go on to win the rest of our matches.
On Saturday West were quickly in front when Jack Beard opened the scoring in the 10th minute when he scored with a penalty stroke to record his 15th goal of the season.
Beard, who has scored in each of West's seven games this season, quickly doubled the lead when he made the most of a defensive error to score in the 15th minute and with 16 goals remains the division's top scorer.
West were in control for the remainder of the half but Purley refused to lie down and netted in the 34th minute to go in 2-1 at half-time
In the second half West quickly restored the two goal advantage when Harry Willetts scored in the 39th minute for 3-1.
Yet the hosts immediately hit back with a goal of their own to cut the deficit to a single goal and then rocked Dru's outfit when they equalised 10 minutes later.
West refused to be denied and skipper Dru restored the lead when he netted on the hour mark.
But Purley were given a lifeline when they were awarded two consecutive penalty corners and converted the second to level the scores in the last minute.
West Hampstead welcome London Wayfarers on Saturday.
West Hampstead squad: Beard, Brooks, Brown, Culverhouse, Dru, Hartley, Hazell, Kimberley, Kutt, Lancastle, Lemmon, Parker, Willetts.