Vunipola brothers sign new contracts with Saracens
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
The Vunipola bothers, Mako and Billy, have become the latest players to commit their futures to Saracens, with the England international duo signing new contracts.
The 24-year-old loosehead Mako arrived from Bristol in the summer of 2011 and has developed into one of the game’s finest prop forwards.
Younger brother Billy joined Sarries in the summer of 2013 from Wasps, going to become a full England international while making 37 appearances for the north Londoners.
British Lions prop Mako said: “I’ve been at the club a bit longer than my brother and I’ve really enjoyed my rugby, and the club have really looked after me. That’s one of the key things for me - there are some really good people around me and I have some great friends here.
“There’s a really good young core in the team now with people like Jamie George, Owen Farrell, George Kruis, Jackson Wray, Maro Itoje and of course my brother. I’m excited to see how far we can go and I want to be around and enjoy my rugby with them and see how we can improve as players.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s been some very special memories in my time at the club and hopefully there will be more to come. We made two finals last season and this year I feel we have improved our game. There have been a few tough times, but it’s been really pleasing how we have bounced back from that.
“The whole culture of the club is special both in terms of what we do on the pitch but also the opportunities we’re given off it to improve ourselves and become great friends. It’s a special place and we are both delighted to be staying.”
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 7 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
Billy added: “It was a very easy decision to remain at Saracens. I really enjoy being at the club. The environment really helps me with my rugby and also my time away from the game. I’m really happy to stay and the way things are going.
“We always want to be in the business end of the season. It’s not all about that but I want to be winning things, but also enjoying my rugby and having fun- and there is a really good mix of that at Saracens. We are a very close group and it’s great to think that we will both be part of that for the years to come.”
Saracens’ director of rugby Mark McCall said: “We’re delighted that Mako and Billy have extended their contracts with club. The pair of them are both under 25, and they are the cornerstones of a very exciting pack of young forwards for this club. “Alongside the likes of Jamie George, Will Fraser, George Kruis, Maro Itoje and Jackson Wray, Billy and Mako are playing a huge part going forward.
“They bring a huge amount on the pitch, and both have achieved an incredible amount in such a short space of time. They also contribute off the field in terms of the group and the environment at the club. We’re very happy that they both see their future here at Saracens.”