Veras strikes gold for England at European Championships
- Credit: Archant
Haringey’s Luan Veras won gold for England at the European Karate Federation Under-21 Championships in Budapest.
Veras is the first England male cadet to win kumite gold in 10 years, helping the national team finish eighth in the medal table.
And that meant their best outcome since the 2013 event in Turkey, when they were second.
Brothers Liam and Luca Veras, Jack Gentili Walsh, Isaac Gibson, Lulu Brown, Keziah Daley Brown and Sam Mrabet have also been picked for England duty.
Veras Academy head coach Raphael Veras said: "They all have shown determination and dedication throughout the selection process and demonstrated abilities perfectly."
You may also want to watch:
The Veras brothers are looking for sponsors to help support their trips after the family had to turn down Luan's chance to compete at the 2019 WKF Cadet, Junior and Under-21 Championships in Chile.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 10 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners