Veras strikes gold for England at European Championships
- Credit: Archant
Haringey’s Luan Veras won gold for England at the European Karate Federation Under-21 Championships in Budapest.
Veras is the first England male cadet to win kumite gold in 10 years, helping the national team finish eighth in the medal table.
And that meant their best outcome since the 2013 event in Turkey, when they were second.
Brothers Liam and Luca Veras, Jack Gentili Walsh, Isaac Gibson, Lulu Brown, Keziah Daley Brown and Sam Mrabet have also been picked for England duty.
Veras Academy head coach Raphael Veras said: "They all have shown determination and dedication throughout the selection process and demonstrated abilities perfectly."
You may also want to watch:
The Veras brothers are looking for sponsors to help support their trips after the family had to turn down Luan's chance to compete at the 2019 WKF Cadet, Junior and Under-21 Championships in Chile.
- 1 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 2 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 3 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 6 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 7 Highgate primary praises new school street scheme restricting cars
- 8 Lockdown easing 'super positive' for West Hampstead shops
- 9 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 10 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross