UCS young stars bat aside their rivals to win London Schools’ Table Tennis Team Finals
- Credit: Archant
The Under-13 boys’ team from University College School took top honours at the Jack Petchey London Schools’ Team Finals on Saturday.
Held at the SportsDock at the University of East London, the competition brought together 188 players and 41 teams from 29 schools across the capital.
The boys and girls each competed in four age groups – Under 11, Under-13, Under-16 and Under-19 – and UCS took the boys’ Under-13 crown after coming back from 3-2 down to defeat Wandsworth’s Ernest Bevin in the final.
Ben Barbarash’s thrilling victory over Jeremiah Prempeh was crucial as he took the deciding fifth set 12-10 to put his side 4-3 ahead overall.
He was one of two 11-year-olds in the team, along with Toby Crawcour, while the line-up was completed by 12-year-olds Josh Imler, Joseph Abrahams, Jacob Zakaim and Rafi Burns and 13-year-old Charlie Gordon.
You may also want to watch:
Crawcour said: “It’s our first time here and we are ecstatic we won. It was very tough.”
Crawcour’s father Matt, who also coached the team, said: “This is a top event, professionally run at a great venue with exceptional standards. The team was nervous but they came through. I am so proud of them.”
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
UCS’s boys will now go forward to play in the English Schools’ Table Tennis Association Regional finals in March.