UCS young stars bat aside their rivals to win London Schools’ Table Tennis Team Finals
- Credit: Archant
The Under-13 boys’ team from University College School took top honours at the Jack Petchey London Schools’ Team Finals on Saturday.
Held at the SportsDock at the University of East London, the competition brought together 188 players and 41 teams from 29 schools across the capital.
The boys and girls each competed in four age groups – Under 11, Under-13, Under-16 and Under-19 – and UCS took the boys’ Under-13 crown after coming back from 3-2 down to defeat Wandsworth’s Ernest Bevin in the final.
Ben Barbarash’s thrilling victory over Jeremiah Prempeh was crucial as he took the deciding fifth set 12-10 to put his side 4-3 ahead overall.
He was one of two 11-year-olds in the team, along with Toby Crawcour, while the line-up was completed by 12-year-olds Josh Imler, Joseph Abrahams, Jacob Zakaim and Rafi Burns and 13-year-old Charlie Gordon.
You may also want to watch:
Crawcour said: “It’s our first time here and we are ecstatic we won. It was very tough.”
Crawcour’s father Matt, who also coached the team, said: “This is a top event, professionally run at a great venue with exceptional standards. The team was nervous but they came through. I am so proud of them.”
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 4 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 10 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
UCS’s boys will now go forward to play in the English Schools’ Table Tennis Association Regional finals in March.