UCS Old Boys secure their survival
- Credit: Archant
London Division 2 North-West: Grasshoopers 0 UCS Old Boys 32
UCS Old Boys secured their survival after a pivotal relegation showdown with Grasshoppers, running in six tries to record a vital bonus-point victory.
UCS started the day level on points with Grasshoppers, and the Old Boys put in their best performance of the season.
They took the lead after two minutes as full-back Will MacWhirter touched down, with Matt Jacobs converting – and Jacobs also crossed the line to make it 12-0 inside 20 minutes.
Dave O’Dwyer scored a third try and, although Tim Sydor was sinbinned, UCS’s 14 men held firm until half-time.
You may also want to watch:
James Boyd scored a crucial fourth try after the interval, securing a bonus point – and James May then went over twice.
UCS’s player-coach Carl Bradshaw said: “I was really proud of our performance. The side has grown over the last three weeks as the pressure has come on and the relegation fight has become more acute. That shows great character and mental strength.”
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 4 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 7 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 8 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
UCS are now five points ahead of Grasshoppers, who have one game left and can draw level on points. However, they cannot match the Old Boys’ eight victories, which would be the decisive factor if the clubs were tied.
Meanwhile, Hampstead beat St Albans 25-13 to leapfrog Hammersmith & Fulham into third place.