UCS Old Boys’ lead is blown away in defeat to Barnet Elizabethans
- Credit: Archant
UCS Old Boys were defeated away at Barnet Elizabethans in a classic game of two halves, with the wind being a big factor as they lost a half-time lead and went down 13-7 in their Herts/Middlesex Division One encounter.
UCS took a 7-0 lead into the break after Alex Jayne’s try and a conversion from Alex Lowe – but they were pushed back into their own territory after the turn-around and conceded two scores.
With the wind behind them, the Old Boys exerted pressure at the start on a waterlogged pitch and it told as fly-half Lowe fed Will Jones, who punched through the initial tackle and then off-loaded as he was challenged by the full-back, with Jayne going over the line and Lowe adding the extras.
UCS suffered a blow as the referee decided to make some of the scrums uncontested due to the deteriorating pitch – an area where the visitors had the upper hand.
And, although they went into the break with the lead, it was a different story in the second period as the sides changed ends and the elements favoured Barnet.
You may also want to watch:
A couple of soft penalties allowed the Elizabethans to win a 10m line-out and rumble over the line. The conversion was missed but the hosts added a penalty kick to go 8-7 ahead, while UCS missed one of their own – and an intercepted pass then allowed the hosts to run in another score.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United