UCS Old Boys complete hat-trick of victories and leapfrog Hillingon Abbots
- Credit: Archant
UCS Old Boys completed a hat-trick of league victories in Herts/Middlesex Division One and leapfrogged Hillingdon Abbots to advance into fifth spot after beating them 15-12 at home.
Stefan Filip and Paul Dillon crossed the whitewash for the hosts, while Ben Caunter kicked a penalty and a conversion in his first game at fly-half this season.
UCS thought they had scored their first try after 10 minutes as they rumbled over from a driving maul, but the referee ruled that Christian Henk had been held up.
Nonetheless, they got points on the board as Caunter kicked a penalty in windy conditions – and their dominant pack got their rewards as they drove over from a scrum, with Filip grounding the ball.
Complacency then set in and Hillingdon’s scrum-half took three tap penalties in succession to create a try around the outside, narrowing the gap to 8-5.
You may also want to watch:
However, the Old Boys’ quick kick-off was knocked on and, from the ensuing scrum, Dillon dotted down while Caunter added the extras to secure a 10-point cushion.
Hillingdon hit back in the second half after a kick was charged down, but UCS held on to win.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 9 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
Meanwhile, their second XV beat Biggleswade 34-17, with Lucas Ruzzon scoring three tries.