UCS claim first win of New Year with success over Saracens Amateurs
- Credit: Archant
Herts/Middlesex One: UCS Old Boys 18 Saracens Amateurs 10
UCS Old Boys collected a first win of 2019 with an 18-10 success againstto Saracens Amateurs in Herts/Middlesex One.
Old Boys started brightly against Saracens, with Hal Sparke crossing for the opening try in just the eighth minute.
Though the Amateurs pulled to within two points with a penalty, a converted Tom Arnold try saw UCS lead 10-3 at half-time.
A penalty from Corne Jansen van Vuuren early in the second half then saw UCS move more than a score clear of their rivals to take a real hold on proceedings.
With 10 minutes remaining, Harry Mann barged his way over from close range to all but seal the win for Old Boys.
Saracens crossed for a try in the final minute of the match that was converted, but it ultimately proved to be little more than a consolation.
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 4 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 5 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 6 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 7 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
- 8 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 9 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 10 Colourful Crouch End bollards to get a repaint due to 'safety' concerns
The game was played some way past its 80-minute duration with both sides chasing a bonus point, but sadly it ended with no further scores.