UCS stung by late try in defeat to Wasps
- Credit: Archant
Herts/Middlesex One: UCS Old Boys 10 Wasps 12
UCS Old Boys were stung by a late try as they went down 12-10 at Wasps in Herts/Middlesex One.
Old Boys had started brightly and put Wasps on the back foot from the off, with a big carry from Chris Bean leading to a simple penalty in front of the posts that Nat Breakwell scored.
UCS were then in defensive mode for the remainder of the half, but some brilliant work from the likes of Liam Clarke and Matt Dawson ensured they still held their 3-0 advantage at half-time.
Old Boys then demonstrated their attacking potential early in the second half, with Will Jones crossing under the posts and Breakwell converting to make it 10-0.
Sadly, that would be the last time UCS would trouble the scorers was Wasps hit back to win.
With Old Boys unable to capitalise on a Wasps player being in the sin bin, the visitors crossed for their first try once back up to a full compliment.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 3 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 4 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 5 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 6 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
- 9 Hampstead woman tells tribunal of alleged racist discrimination
- 10 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
With five minutes remaining, Wasps delivered the hammer blow as they scored their second try to lead 12-10.
UCS were unable to claw their way back into the lead in the time that remained, though did at least collect a losing bonus point for their troubles.
Old Boys will look to pick themselves up quickly with a home game against St Albans to come this weekend.