UCS boys are heading to AEGON national finals
Five boys from University College School in Hampstead will head to Bolton this weekend after fighting their way through to the national finals of the Year 10 AEGON team school event.
A total of 2,425 sides from England, Scotland and Wales started the tournament, and now only four remain, with UCS reaching this stage for the first time.
Ben Jones, Max Benaim, Rohan Sikka, Gabriel Freed-man and Ben Zuckerman came through their qualifying rounds before beating Reed’s School from Surrey – the No1 ranked school in the event – to earn a place in the south-east finals.
They went on to beat St Bede’s School from Cambridge 10-2 before overcoming Sevenoaks School from Kent by the same scoreline to reach the Bolton finals.
UCS will now face Millfield School (Somerset), Ellesmere College (Shropshire) and High School of Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday for the chance to be crowned national schools champions.
You may also want to watch:
Headmaster Kenneth Durham said: “We are incredibly proud of the team for this fantastic achievement – a first in the history of tennis at UCS – and we wish them well for the finals.”
- 1 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 2 Prince Philip's funeral: Camden firm Levertons to make arrangements
- 3 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 7 'Negligence put lives at risk': £10k fine after fire at unlicensed HMO
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Revealed: How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'