UCS boys are heading to AEGON national finals
Five boys from University College School in Hampstead will head to Bolton this weekend after fighting their way through to the national finals of the Year 10 AEGON team school event.
A total of 2,425 sides from England, Scotland and Wales started the tournament, and now only four remain, with UCS reaching this stage for the first time.
Ben Jones, Max Benaim, Rohan Sikka, Gabriel Freed-man and Ben Zuckerman came through their qualifying rounds before beating Reed’s School from Surrey – the No1 ranked school in the event – to earn a place in the south-east finals.
They went on to beat St Bede’s School from Cambridge 10-2 before overcoming Sevenoaks School from Kent by the same scoreline to reach the Bolton finals.
UCS will now face Millfield School (Somerset), Ellesmere College (Shropshire) and High School of Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday for the chance to be crowned national schools champions.
You may also want to watch:
Headmaster Kenneth Durham said: “We are incredibly proud of the team for this fantastic achievement – a first in the history of tennis at UCS – and we wish them well for the finals.”
- 1 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 2 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 3 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 4 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
- 5 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 6 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 7 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 8 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 9 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower