UCS boys are heading to AEGON national finals
Five boys from University College School in Hampstead will head to Bolton this weekend after fighting their way through to the national finals of the Year 10 AEGON team school event.
A total of 2,425 sides from England, Scotland and Wales started the tournament, and now only four remain, with UCS reaching this stage for the first time.
Ben Jones, Max Benaim, Rohan Sikka, Gabriel Freed-man and Ben Zuckerman came through their qualifying rounds before beating Reed’s School from Surrey – the No1 ranked school in the event – to earn a place in the south-east finals.
They went on to beat St Bede’s School from Cambridge 10-2 before overcoming Sevenoaks School from Kent by the same scoreline to reach the Bolton finals.
UCS will now face Millfield School (Somerset), Ellesmere College (Shropshire) and High School of Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday for the chance to be crowned national schools champions.
You may also want to watch:
Headmaster Kenneth Durham said: “We are incredibly proud of the team for this fantastic achievement – a first in the history of tennis at UCS – and we wish them well for the finals.”
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 6 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 10 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey