Two late strikes earn H&W long awaited victory
Two goals in the last seven minutes gave Hampstead a vital win over Beeston on Sunday. Ben Rogers netted after 63 minutes when his team were trailing 2-1, and the winner came from Australian international Scott Webster two minutes later. Beeston had taken
Two goals in the last seven minutes gave Hampstead a vital win over Beeston on Sunday.
Ben Rogers netted after 63 minutes when his team were trailing 2-1, and the winner came from Australian international Scott Webster two minutes later.
Beeston had taken the lead in the first half when Tim Davenport dispatched a long corner at the far post. Seconds earlier, Simpkins has saved a penalty corner.
In the 25th minute, ex-Beeston player Mikey Williamson flicked through a crowded D into the bottom right hand corner to put Hampstead level.
You may also want to watch:
The second half began at frantic pace and Hampstead were thwarted only by some last ditch tackles and a series of misplaced final passes.
Unable to convert, Hampstead found themselves behind again on 41minutes when Ali Wilson slid in at the far post.
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 3 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
Both sides missed chance to turn the game before Rogers and Webster popped up in the dying stages for Hampstead.
However, Beeston could have forced a draw were it not for two excellent saves from short corners from Simpkins in the last five minutes.
The win puts Hampstead eight points clear of the relegation zone in the Premier Division.
On Sunday they face a tough home clash with league leaders Cannock.