Two games left for UCSOB to avoid relegation after Old Streetonians defeat

UCSOB's Ben Boyles. Picture: NICK COOK

UCSOB's Ben Boyles. Picture: NICK COOK - Credit: Archant

UCSOB slipped to the bottom of the Herts Middlesex One table – and into the one relegation spot – after a 60-17 loss to league leaders Old Streetonians.

Their failure to pick up a bonus point was compounded by Wasps FC gaining a losing BP away to Barnet Elizabethans.

It leaves two games for them to save their status in the division, although both of them are at home. Barnet provide the opposition on Saturday with Hendon heading to Ranulf Road on April 8.

The trip to Hackney on Saturday was always going to be a tough one, and a strong wind caused errors from both teams.

But it was the hosts who had the better of things, with the upper hand in scrums and line-outs, and they opened the scoring after a prolonged passage of play.

Despite going a try down, UCS regathered and attempted to up the tempo, taking quick taps whenever possible and putting a few more phases together.

Fly-half David O’Dwyer adapted to the conditions using the up-and-under to good effect on several occasions and attacking the blindside when the opportunity presented itself.

Most Read

The UCS pack were getting their hands on the ball a lot more with Paul Dillon and Stefan Filip both making breaks, ably supported by Chris Pope. Lloyd Hughes blasted his way through the defensive line and making significant yards on a couple of occasions and Tom Loughlan looked equally dangerous.

And after fielding an attempted clearance, he set-off on a diagonal weaving run leaving a number of players in his wake before floating a pass to Ben Boyles, on the other wing, who showed excellent speed to score in the corner.

Old Streetonians ran in three more tries but as the first half came to a close another carry from Hughes gave UCS a foothold in the opposition’s half. And after the ball had been moved around, Arthur Coates popped it to the bulldozing Dillon who crashed over his opposite man to score.

The half-time break halted the travelling team’s momentum and Old Streetonians were a dominant force in the second period.

There was the odd shimmer of hope as Dillon again went clear through the midfield after a cute delayed pass from George Sewell, but those moments were few and far between.

And Old Streetonians showed why they are top of the league running in another six tries.

UCSOB did have the final word though. Having at last established some territory, the ball was moved wide from Sewell to Chris Bean who stepped inside the defender only to be felled by a high tackle with the try-line beckoning.

That brought a penalty try with the final whistle blown straight after.