Try a new sport as Highbury Korfball Club moves to Swiss Cottage
- Credit: Archant
Highbury Korfball Club has relocated to Swiss Cottage and is on the look-out for new players to help fire them into the national league.
The club, which was founded in 2003 and has three teams competing in the London leagues, caters for people of all abilities – including complete novices – and they narrowly missed out on promotion to the national league last season.
Korfball is an eight-player team game which is designed to be played by both men and women on the same team. It holds its roots in the sports of basketball and netball.
Originating in the Netherlands, the aim is to score more ‘korfs’, the Dutch word for basket, than the opposition.
Highbury KC is open to adults of all abilities and holds weekly open sessions at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre while competing against other teams based in London and the south-east. The season starts on October 20 and runs through to April.
Highbury Korfball Club chair Joanna Faure Walker said: “Korfball is an inclusive and fun sport. We are actively encouraging the community to get involved and try it out.
“We cater for all abilities of player from complete beginners to seasoned campaigners and everyone in between.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 3 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 5 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 6 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 9 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 10 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
“It’s the perfect sport for the beginner, and we have new people joining us every week. Our aim this season is to get promotion to the national league as well as developing our second and third teams.”
Highbury Korfball Club has open sessions every Thursday between 8pm and 10pm at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre, starting today, October 3.
New players can attend for free for their first three weeks. For more information, visit the website www.highburykorfball.co.uk.