England international Daly to join Saracens
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Utility back to join in the summer from Wasps
England international back Elliot Daly is set to join Saracens from Gallagher Premiership rivals Wasps in the summer.
Daly, who can play at full-back, wing or centre and also represented the British and Irish Lions, has signed a deal at Allianz Park until 2022.
“At 26, I believe it is the right time in my career to explore a fresh challenge and the opportunity to do that with Saracens really excites me,” Daly said on the Saracens website.
“It’s a fantastic club which has had a lot of success in recent seasons and that’s something that I want to be a part of.
“I’ve played with a few of the lads for England and the Lions, as well as enjoyed battles against them in the Premiership, and I’m looking forward to calling them club team-mates from next season.”
Croydon-born Daly played junior rugby at Beckenham and Dorking before joining Wasps’ academy, making a first-team debut in 2010 and is a former Premiership Young Player of the Season.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 4 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
- 5 Crowdfunder launched to buy Mortimer Terrace Nature Reserve
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 7 Matt Lucas backs school's drive to build arts studio
- 8 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 9 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 10 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
Daly, twice nominated for European Player of the Year, has gone on to become a regular in Eddie Jones’ England squad, scoring a try in the opening Guinness Six Nations win over Ireland in Dublin.
Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall feels Daly can make a major impact at Allianz Park.
“We are looking forward to welcoming Elliot to the club next season,” McCall said.
“He’s a talented player and at 26, his best years are ahead of him.
“Everyone at Saracens is excited to see him fulfil his potential with us.”