Towndrow treble completes another dominant day for Hendon
- Credit: Archant
Chris Towndrow scored three of Hendon’s seven tries as they maintained their strong start to the season with another comprehensive victory, beating Mill Hill 49-13 in Herts/Middlesex Division Two.
The Dons had won their first fixture 50-12 and, although they were only five points up at one stage in the second period, they eased away to thump a Mill Hill side who had scored 48 points in their opener.
Playing uphill in the first half, Hendon took the lead as captain Cian Hynes slotted over a penalty – but the visitors got the first try, kicking a penalty to touch and driving over from the lineout.
Hendon trailed 7-3 for 20 minutes but took advantage when one of their opponents was sent to the sin-bin, driving forward from their own lineout before scrum-half Mike Evans-Jones went down the blind side and beat two men to score an unconverted try, while a Hynes penalty put the hosts 11-7 up.
Hendon struck first after the break as Jones sent Derry O’Connor over, with Hynes adding the extras. And, while two Mill Hill penalties narrowed the gap to 18-13, Hendon ran away with the game.
The front row of Liam Murphy, Mark Munroe and Towndrow scrummaged strongly and O’Connor went over again, while Towndrow and second-row forward Paul Geraghty followed suit.
Towndrow then inflicted further pain on a tired Mill Hill side with two more tries in the last six minutes.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 4 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 7 PLU: St John's Wood restaurant finds the right formula
- 8 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 9 Barnet chemist named independent pharmacy of the year
- 10 Highgate's new butcher offers wine pairing and cooking advice