Late own-goal hands Wingate fine comeback success at Tiverton

New Wingate & Finchley manager Glen Little on the touchline (pic: Martin Addison).

New Wingate & Finchley manager Glen Little on the touchline (pic: Martin Addison). - Credit: Archant

FA Trophy second qualifying round: Tiverton Town 2 Wingate & Finchley 3

Wingate & Finchley’s FA Trophy campaign continued into the third qualifying round after fighting back from 2-0 down at Ladysmead to overcome Tiverton Town - by hook or by crook - 3-2 on Saturday.

With three minutes played, the visitors showed intent. Luke Ifil found Reece Beckles-Richards’ inside right run to fire towards the near-post, but Liam Armstrong held on.

Six minutes on, Marc Weatherstone hustled and played into Charlie Cole, who shimmied into space, but his shot was gathered by Armstrong.

Beckles-Richards’ cross from the right met Rob Laney’s near-post slide, yet he found the post on 12 minutes.

On 25 minutes, Ifil and Beckles-Richards interchanged for the latter to hit with clout, which Armstrong patted away.

Tommy Tejan-Sie’s cutting pass found Samir Bihmoutine’s inside left run, whose cross evaded Cole by inches eight minutes on.

Most Read

Despite The Blues’ dominance, the hosts took a shock lead in the 45th minute. Levi Landricombe latched onto a loose pass, before breaking into the area and placing across.

Four minutes into the restart, ‘Tivvy’ doubled their lead. Max Smallcombe volleyed in first-time past Shane Gore from close, following a scramble inside the box.

On 58 minutes, Landricombe - high on confidence - attempted an audacious lob from afar, which dipped just past Gore’s left-hand post.

Three minutes proceeded when Beckles-Richards recycled with Cole, who fired a cross across the face of goal for Laney to come within inches of tapping in, but Ben Mammola hooked clear.

Landricombe raced away and looked to go around Gore in a one-on-one, yet the stopper rushed out and vitally cleared on 64 minutes.

On 67 minutes, the tide changed. Sean Cronin’s pass over the top made its way through to Weatherstone - and the record appearance holder made a timely run to slide one past Armstrong.

Glen Little’s troops levelled terms five minutes on. Beckles-Richards’ cross from the right arrived to Cole to place home and open his account.

Cole struck with menace from 20-yards and evaded the top corner by inches 15 minutes on.

Cole’s free-kick rebounded for Chace O’Neill to hit a piledriver from outside the area, which Armstrong tipped over three minutes later.

With ten to go, O’Neill’s corner came to Laney who squared to Beckles-Richards, whose goalbound effort was cleared off the line by Callum Hall.

Two minutes from the end, The Yellows’ Scott Rogers backpass bobbled over Armstrong’s foot and into the goal to ensure progression for the north Londoners - capped off with the players and management embracing the support at full-time.