The only way is up for Norman
WINGATE & Finchley FC kick off their campaign in the Ryman League Division One North this Saturday, with new manager David Norman hoping to build on the club's performance last season. The Blues' first two tests of the new season...
WINGATE & Finchley FC kick off their campaign in the Ryman League Division One North this Saturday, with new manager David Norman hoping to build on the club's performance last season.
The Blues' first two tests of the new season are a trip to Redbridge this Saturday and a home match with Cheshunt at Harry Abrahams Stadium on Tuesday night.
The boss has brought in central midfielders Michael Lenahan and Jordan Fowler - the latter a former member of Arsenal's academy - while Leon Smith has been recruited to bolster the front line.
Norman believes that the Blues can take another step forward after their seventh-placed finish last season, but he is expecting a tough start over the next six days.
You may also want to watch:
"The plan is hopefully to build on last season, when the club did very well," said Norman. "We've added three or four players over the summer and re-signed everyone who we wanted to keep from last season, so we're very pleased with the squad.
"It's too early to talk about the play-offs, promotion and that sort of thing, but I think we can definitely make a move in the right direction.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 7 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
"We've got two difficult encounters to start with, and Redbridge finished one below us last season. I know they're expecting to make the play-offs this year and it's going to be tough kicking off the season at their place.
"Cheshunt have had a good pre-season and they've signed some useful players too, but I think both of our opponents will be looking at Wingate and thinking that they didn't want to play us this early either.