Tennis legend Nick Bollettieri visits to coach at Cumberland
- Credit: Archant
While the nation is currently gripped by World Cup fever, the best tennis players on the planet will be heading to London this weekend for the start of Wimbledon.
And, as the likes of Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer prepare to take to the grass courts of SW19, members of Cumberland Lawn Tennis Club have received a visit from legendary coach Nick Bollettieri.
The 82-year-old American is credited with developing 10 of the world’s number one players – Andre Agassi, Boris Becker, Jim Courier, Martina Hingis, Jelena Jankovic, Marcelo Rios, Monica Seles, Maria Sharapova and Venus and Serena Williams.
Bollettieri was at the club in Alvanley Gardens, West Hampstead, on Monday and Tuesday this week, holding four clinics for junior and adult members on Cumberland’s four grass courts.
Cumberland chairman Simon Jones said: “It was a huge privilege for the club.
You may also want to watch:
“Over 80 of our juniors and 65 of our adult members were inspired by their time on court with this tennis coaching legend – all of which took place on our pristine grass courts where Bjorn Borg famously practised each year before winning all of his five Wimbledon titles.
“At the conclusion of the event the whole club also enjoyed a fascinating Q&A with Nick in the clubhouse, where he gave us some of his personal insights and views on past and present players and changes to the game over his astonishing career.”
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 10 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran