Tejan-Sie hits late winner as Wingate & Finchley secure second successive league victory
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley secured their second successive league victory on Saturday as Tommy Tejan-Sie struck a last-minute winner away against basement boys Grays Athletic.
Rob Laney put the Blues ahead in the 37th minute, but Grays equalised midway through the second half as Kwabena Osei beat Shane Gore with a header to set up a thrilling finale.
Wingate struck a decisive goal in the 89th minute though. Grays’ goalkeeper punched a corner out to Tejan-Sie and his shot looped just over the head of his team-mate Afalabi Obafemi, confusing the home side’s custodian, who allowed the ball to bounce past him. It leaves Wingate 13th in the table, 10 points outside the play-off spots.
The Blues went on to beat Cockfosters 4-2 on penalties to reach the last eight of the London Senior Cup on Tuesday night.
Meanwhile, Haringey Borough drew 1-1 away against their fellow play-off contenders Tilbury in Ryman League Division One North on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Anthony McDonald was on target for Haringey, who remain in 11th place – one point behind Tilbury and four outside the top five places.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 8 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end