Tejan-Sie hits late winner as Wingate & Finchley secure second successive league victory
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley secured their second successive league victory on Saturday as Tommy Tejan-Sie struck a last-minute winner away against basement boys Grays Athletic.
Rob Laney put the Blues ahead in the 37th minute, but Grays equalised midway through the second half as Kwabena Osei beat Shane Gore with a header to set up a thrilling finale.
Wingate struck a decisive goal in the 89th minute though. Grays’ goalkeeper punched a corner out to Tejan-Sie and his shot looped just over the head of his team-mate Afalabi Obafemi, confusing the home side’s custodian, who allowed the ball to bounce past him. It leaves Wingate 13th in the table, 10 points outside the play-off spots.
The Blues went on to beat Cockfosters 4-2 on penalties to reach the last eight of the London Senior Cup on Tuesday night.
Meanwhile, Haringey Borough drew 1-1 away against their fellow play-off contenders Tilbury in Ryman League Division One North on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Anthony McDonald was on target for Haringey, who remain in 11th place – one point behind Tilbury and four outside the top five places.
- 1 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 2 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 3 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 6 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 7 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 8 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 9 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 10 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery