Swiss duo land gold in county age group meet
Camden Swiss Cottage's Alex Mackay swam a national qualifying time on his way to a gold medal at the Middlesex Age Group Distance Meet in Ealing over the weekend. The 15-year-old had a split of nine minutes 13.05 seconds for the 800m freestyle and went on
Camden Swiss Cottage's Alex Mackay swam a national qualifying time on his way to a gold medal at the Middlesex Age Group Distance Meet in Ealing over the weekend.
The 15-year-old had a split of nine minutes 13.05 seconds for the 800m freestyle and went on to win the boy's 1,500m freestyle.
Edward Graham, 13, also became age group champion for the 800m free in a best time of 10mins 07.41secs.
Mathilde Milwidsky, 12, won bronze in the 800m free (10mins 37.28secs) as did Harry Needs, 14, in the 1,500m free (18mins 19.14secs).
You may also want to watch:
Jessica Hobbs, 13, came fourth in the 800m, as did Alex Burgess, 11, in the 800m and Callum McDougall, 14, in the 1,500m.
The day before the distance meet, Needs won four golds in the Middlesex Age Groups in Enfield, where all events were raced over 50m in a 25m short- course pool.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 7 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
Needs set a new 14-15-year-old club records for the 50m fly (27.55secs) and the 50m back (29.12secs) and also won the 50m breaststroke (33.11secs) and 50m freestyle (26.50secs).
Kelly Hookway, 10, won double gold, in the free (32.22secs) and back (38.29secs), and added silver in the 50m fly.
Felix Samuels, 13, swam two good personal bests to win double gold in the fly (29.73secs) and the free (27.08secs) and bronze in the 50m back. Reut Benaim, 12, won gold in the 50m fly in a club record for the 12-13-year-old girls (32.22secs), beating Emily Drew's 2002 time by seven hundreds of a second.
She was a close second for silver in the free, setting an impressive best of 30.01secs.
Alex Peake, 11, won the 50m breaststroke (41.40secs) and was fourth in the fly.
Felix Samuels and Needs teamed up with Bogac Ayhan and Callum McDougall to win the boys 13-14 200m medley and freestyle relays.
They were matched by the men's 17-and-over quartet of Vicking Wong, Matt Chappell, Jack Murphy and Ed Walsh, who also won gold in both the medley and freestyle events.
The women's 17-and-over medley team of Laura Hobbs, Katie Hogben, Sarraounia Samuels won silver, as did the freestyle team of Laura, Katie, Emily Drew and Sarraounia.
The girls 10-and-under medley team of Clemence McAvoy, Cordelia Grossman, Kelly Hookway and Amelia Brown won bronze.
Individual silver medals were won by Samir Ahmed (fly) and Max Hayhurst and Vicking Wong (back).
Bronze medals went to Ed Walsh (freestyle), Alex Burgess (back) and to Metin Ayhan (fly).