Supporting role: A Wingate & Finchley fan shares his highlights and low points
- Credit: Archant
In the first of a series of features casting the spotlight on local football fans, Simon Swingler reveals his favourite player, his most memorable match and the funniest moment he has experienced following Wingate & Finchley.
FIRST GAME: A pre-season friendly against my home town club, Rushden & Diamonds, in August 2010. I was a disgruntled Arsenal season ticket-holder looking for a football fix close to N5. I went to a few games and loved it.
FURTHEST AWAY TRIP: Sharky (fellow fan Colin Foster) drove us all the way from Northampton to Bognor Regis in March 2013 in his clapped-out Vauxhall Astra. The driver’s window wouldn’t wind all the way up, causing us to get pelted with rain for the entire trip. We lost 1-0.
FAVOURITE PLAYER: Former player Marc Weatherstone – the relationship he had with the fans was quite unique. He attended weddings and birthdays of fans as well as calling some of us when he was leaving the club to explain why.
MOST MEMORABLE MATCH: Winning 3-2 at home to Lowestoft Town at Summers Lane on a balmy Thursday evening in the penultimate game of the 2012-13 season to secure our Ryman League Premier Division status.
You may also want to watch:
HIGHLIGHT: The day we all travelled down to the coast to Lewes wearing Sid James masks in September 2014. We lost 3-0 but made it onto the Sky Sports News feature about Non League Day.
WORST MEMORY: My ex-girlfriend broke up with me on the day we played Haringey Borough in the London Senior Cup in January 2013. Even winning on penalties couldn’t raise my spirits that day.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
FUNNIEST MOMENT: [Fellow fan] Mike Bayly dressing up as Spiderman at Bognor Regis in April 2014 and running out of the pub we were in to greet the chairman, who had just parked over the road. The look on the chairman’s face when he saw Spiderman was running towards him will live long in the memory.