Super sub Ramulu fires Highbury to victory over league leaders
- Credit: Archant
Super sub Karthik Ramulu was the hero as Swiss Cottage-based Highbury Korfball Club’s second team produced a stunning comeback from five goals down to overcome the previously unbeaten league leaders Bec III 10-8 in London League Two.
The match started true to form with Bec racing into a 6-1 first-half lead, the only bright point for Highbury being an effort from Alun Perkins.
Darryl Light broke the second- half deadlock to give Highbury a glimmer of hope, only for Bec to reply.
But Richard Hayward hit home a long-range effort to get the ball rolling, closely followed by a goal from the back of the court by Anja Hudson as Highbury turned to substitute Ramulu to help salvage the game.
Ramulu entered the field with just 14 minutes remaining and Light got Highbury within three goals from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Bec quickly responded to take their advantage up to four again, but a quickfire three goals turned the game on its head – Bernard Martin hit a stunner, Hudson scored from closer in and Light coolly equalised to make it 8-8.
With time running out, Ramulu had clearly read the script as he hit a long-ranger which whistled through the basket without even touching the sides.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 4 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 5 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 6 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
It set up a tense finish but Ramulu repeated the feat with another effort with seconds left to seal a memorable 10-8 victory.