Super sub Ramulu fires Highbury to victory over league leaders
- Credit: Archant
Super sub Karthik Ramulu was the hero as Swiss Cottage-based Highbury Korfball Club’s second team produced a stunning comeback from five goals down to overcome the previously unbeaten league leaders Bec III 10-8 in London League Two.
The match started true to form with Bec racing into a 6-1 first-half lead, the only bright point for Highbury being an effort from Alun Perkins.
Darryl Light broke the second- half deadlock to give Highbury a glimmer of hope, only for Bec to reply.
But Richard Hayward hit home a long-range effort to get the ball rolling, closely followed by a goal from the back of the court by Anja Hudson as Highbury turned to substitute Ramulu to help salvage the game.
Ramulu entered the field with just 14 minutes remaining and Light got Highbury within three goals from close range.
Bec quickly responded to take their advantage up to four again, but a quickfire three goals turned the game on its head – Bernard Martin hit a stunner, Hudson scored from closer in and Light coolly equalised to make it 8-8.
With time running out, Ramulu had clearly read the script as he hit a long-ranger which whistled through the basket without even touching the sides.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 4 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 7 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 9 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 10 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
It set up a tense finish but Ramulu repeated the feat with another effort with seconds left to seal a memorable 10-8 victory.