Successful Parliament Hill outing for Highgate Harriers
HIGHGATE Harriers runners were successful in a variety of events in the club s spring open meeting at Parliament Hill on Wednesday. Daniel Lavin clocked 11.8 seconds to win the 75m Under-12 boys race in the evening event, staged by Highgate Harriers and t
HIGHGATE Harriers runners were successful in a variety of events in the club's spring open meeting at Parliament Hill on Wednesday.
Daniel Lavin clocked 11.8 seconds to win the 75m Under-12 boys race in the evening event, staged by Highgate Harriers and the City of London.
Sally Charlton (13.7secs) won the Under-12 girls race.
Lavin (3mins 3.4secs) then completed a double when he won the Under-12 800m, ahead of Peter Laing (3mins 7.6secs).
You may also want to watch:
In the 100m events, Highgate's winners were Finbarr Ricketts (11.2secs) and Eric Guei (11.5secs), who impressed in the senior event after being out for sometime through injury.
In the third 100m race, London Heathside runners completed a double.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 4 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 5 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 6 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
Daniel Aka (11.9secs) won the men's race and Parise Hinds Green (13.8secs) the women's.
Highgate's Ron Smith (52.5secs) was second in the 400m and schoolboy George Laing filled a similar position in the second 400m event in 57.1secs.
In the senior 800m race, Atak Diing (2mins 6.8secs) led all the way to win and Under-17 runner William Laing was not far behind in 2mins 7.8secs. Samara Williams (2mins 31secs) was fourth in the Under-15 race.
The 3,000m event was won by Harriers' Glen Saqui (9mins 9.2secs), ahead of team-mates Henry Dodwell (9mins 11.3secs) and Chris Beecham (9mins 12.8secs).
Svenja Abel (10mins 31.6secs), competing in only her second race since returning from injury, was the first woman home.
In other events, Thierry Lebreton won the shot-put with a 8.75m throw and non-member Kenneth Tsang (4.91m) won the long jump ahead of Michael Gallagher (3.86m). Mei Corbett (3.34m) was the first girl, ahead of Lizzie Quacqurelli (3.12m) and Amy-Jane Cotter (3.10m) third.
The final event, the 5,000m Paarlauf, which featured 11 two-man teams, was won by Glen Saqui/Peter Downie (13mins 40.3secs), ahead of Serpentine Running Club's Eric Phillips/Nicky Torry (13mins 48.4secs). Chris Beecham and Nick Gold (13mins 49.2secs) were third.
l Two Harriers ran well in the Flitwick 10k Road Race on Sunday Stephen Whiting was 13th in 34mins 37secs, while Damian Shirley was 30th.