Strauss tons make him favourite to captain Ashes team
Andrew Strauss s hat-trick of Test tons in the Caribbean has made him favourite to captain England in this summer s Ashes, writes Simon Jackson. Strauss has been in outstanding form since replacing Kevin Pietersen as captain in the lead-up to England s to
Andrew Strauss's hat-trick of Test tons in the Caribbean has made him favourite to captain England in this summer's Ashes, writes Simon Jackson.
Strauss has been in outstanding form since replacing Kevin Pietersen as captain in the lead-up to England's tour of the West Indies.
The Middlesex batsmen under-pinned England's fight-back to draw the third Test with a priceless opening 169 and followed up with scores of 142 in both the drawn fourth and fifth Tests.
Although England lost the series 1-0 Strauss's success in his new role has seemingly improved his claim to lead England against Australia which starts in July in Cardiff.
You may also want to watch:
"Andrew has done a very good job and I don't think we need to see beyond him at the moment," said England's national selector Geoff Miller.
"If he continues doing the job he's doing, getting runs, as well as good responses from players and the backroom staff, then there's no problem."
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted