Strauss applauds unity among his England team mates
MIDDLESEX S Andrew Strauss stressed the importance of England s unity in their one-day series win over the West Indies in the Caribbean on Friday, writes Simon Jackson. The England captain led his men to a 3-2 series win over the hosts in St Lucia s Beaus
MIDDLESEX'S Andrew Strauss stressed the importance of England's unity in their one-day series win over the West Indies in the Caribbean on Friday, writes Simon Jackson.
The England captain led his men to a 3-2 series win over the hosts in St Lucia's Beausejour Stadium after trailing the West Indies 2-1 following back-to- back losses in Guyana and Barbados.
England kept their nerve in the decider to reach 172-5, in a match reduced to 29 overs, before defeating West Indies (146) by 26 runs in 28 overs.
"It has been a long, hard tour and to come out at the end with something is pretty special," said Strauss.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm delighted. We played really well and handled the pressure well. Given that we lost the Test series, the one-day series is very important to us.
"The guys kept close as a unit and we kept helping each other through those tough times."
- 1 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 5 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
- 9 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
l Strauss was this week left out of the provisional squad for the ICC World Twenty20 tournament. See page 28.