Strauss applauds unity among his England team mates
MIDDLESEX S Andrew Strauss stressed the importance of England s unity in their one-day series win over the West Indies in the Caribbean on Friday, writes Simon Jackson. The England captain led his men to a 3-2 series win over the hosts in St Lucia s Beaus
MIDDLESEX'S Andrew Strauss stressed the importance of England's unity in their one-day series win over the West Indies in the Caribbean on Friday, writes Simon Jackson.
The England captain led his men to a 3-2 series win over the hosts in St Lucia's Beausejour Stadium after trailing the West Indies 2-1 following back-to- back losses in Guyana and Barbados.
England kept their nerve in the decider to reach 172-5, in a match reduced to 29 overs, before defeating West Indies (146) by 26 runs in 28 overs.
"It has been a long, hard tour and to come out at the end with something is pretty special," said Strauss.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm delighted. We played really well and handled the pressure well. Given that we lost the Test series, the one-day series is very important to us.
"The guys kept close as a unit and we kept helping each other through those tough times."
- 1 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 2 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 5 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 8 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 9 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 10 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
l Strauss was this week left out of the provisional squad for the ICC World Twenty20 tournament. See page 28.