Strauss applauds unity among his England team mates
MIDDLESEX S Andrew Strauss stressed the importance of England s unity in their one-day series win over the West Indies in the Caribbean on Friday, writes Simon Jackson. The England captain led his men to a 3-2 series win over the hosts in St Lucia s Beaus
MIDDLESEX'S Andrew Strauss stressed the importance of England's unity in their one-day series win over the West Indies in the Caribbean on Friday, writes Simon Jackson.
The England captain led his men to a 3-2 series win over the hosts in St Lucia's Beausejour Stadium after trailing the West Indies 2-1 following back-to- back losses in Guyana and Barbados.
England kept their nerve in the decider to reach 172-5, in a match reduced to 29 overs, before defeating West Indies (146) by 26 runs in 28 overs.
"It has been a long, hard tour and to come out at the end with something is pretty special," said Strauss.
"I'm delighted. We played really well and handled the pressure well. Given that we lost the Test series, the one-day series is very important to us.
"The guys kept close as a unit and we kept helping each other through those tough times."
- 1 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 4 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 5 'First public sculpture' of Mother of Methodism carved in East Finchley
- 6 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 7 Full fibre broadband rollout coming to Crouch End and Barking
- 8 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 9 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 10 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
l Strauss was this week left out of the provisional squad for the ICC World Twenty20 tournament. See page 28.