Spurs Ladies’ hot streak in front of goal down to ‘hard work’, says midfielder
- Credit: Archant
Spurs Ladies midfielder Maya Vio says the team’s clinical streak in front of goal is down to their hard-working nature.
Vio bagged a hat-trick, with Bianca Baptiste, Riana Soobadoo, Wendy Martin, Lucia Leon and Ronnell Humes (2) also on the scoresheet as Spurs thrashed Carshalton Athletic 9-1 in the opening round of the Capital Women’s Cup.
Karen Hills’ side came within just one goal of achieving the same feat they accomplished last month when they hammered 10 past West Ham in the FA Women’s Premier League Cup – and Vio pointed to the reasoning behind why they’ve found their shooting boots this campaign.
“Last season we kept on going into games playing really well, but for whatever reason we just couldn’t get the ball in the net.
“I think this season we have a lot more confidence shooting from wherever, we’re shooting a lot more from outside the box now rather than just passing our way to the goal.
You may also want to watch:
“We have worked so hard from the minute pre-season started – and even then the goals were coming thick and fast.
“We just need to keep up that momentum, continue working hard as a team to get on the scoresheet – or assisting each other to score – and we’ll be all the better for that.”
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 4 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 7 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 8 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 9 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 10 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
She continued: “It was actually a bit annoying that it was only 9-1 as we were so close to double figures again!
“I thought the team put in a really great performance, every single player performed well.
“I feel like we played well in the first half but I don’t think it was at the pace, or the quality that we wanted it to be – even though we were winning 5-1.
“We came out in the second-half, and did exactly what our coaches told us to do and we reaped the rewards from that.”