Hockey: Winning GB debut for Hampstead & Westminster’s Draper
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s Jacob Draper made a winning start to his Great Britain career as Danny Kerry’s side beat Spain in their Test series in Valencia.
The match was also a special occasion for Ian Sloan as it marked his 100th combined international appearance for England and Great Britain.
Liam Ansell scored the game's only goal in the 40th minute as he played his first game for GB since injuring an ankle in May, while Liam Sanford made a long awaited comeback from a knee injury that has kept him out of the international arena since February.
The series in Spain is acting as a warm-up for the FIH Olympic Qualifiers, with Great Britain's men taking on Malaysia on November 2-3 at Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre as they seek to book their place at Tokyo 2020.
Having starred for Wales during their recent EuroHockey campaign and part of the GB U21 side that won the Sultan of Johor Cup last year, Draper made his GB bow as he came off the bench in the sixth minute.
You may also want to watch:
It was a much different affair compared to the last time the teams met in Spain, when GB came from 4-1 down to earn a thrilling 6-5 victory in their opening FIH Pro League game.
But Ansell's field goal secured a well-earned victory for his team as preparations continue to ramp up ahead of the FIH Olympic Qualifier.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 6 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 9 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
The two teams meet again in the second and final Test at 2pm on Friday.
GB: Pinner, Willars, Ames, Forsyth, Martin, Roper, Dixon (C), Ansell, Condon, Sanford, Sorsby. Subs: Griffiths, Sloan, Ward, Waller, Gall, Draper. Unused: Gibson, Weir, Calnan.
*With 5,000 seats at the Lee Valley Hockey & Centre for the Olympic qualifiers, there are four categories of ticket with prices starting from just £5 for U18s, £13.50 for 18-25s and £17.50 for adults, through to premium covered, half-way line seats ranging from £19.50 to £59.50.
All tickets on general sale will be at advanced ticket prices and secure access to the venue for both matches in the day.