Hockey: Winning GB debut for Hampstead & Westminster’s Draper
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s Jacob Draper made a winning start to his Great Britain career as Danny Kerry’s side beat Spain in their Test series in Valencia.
The match was also a special occasion for Ian Sloan as it marked his 100th combined international appearance for England and Great Britain.
Liam Ansell scored the game's only goal in the 40th minute as he played his first game for GB since injuring an ankle in May, while Liam Sanford made a long awaited comeback from a knee injury that has kept him out of the international arena since February.
The series in Spain is acting as a warm-up for the FIH Olympic Qualifiers, with Great Britain's men taking on Malaysia on November 2-3 at Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre as they seek to book their place at Tokyo 2020.
Having starred for Wales during their recent EuroHockey campaign and part of the GB U21 side that won the Sultan of Johor Cup last year, Draper made his GB bow as he came off the bench in the sixth minute.
You may also want to watch:
It was a much different affair compared to the last time the teams met in Spain, when GB came from 4-1 down to earn a thrilling 6-5 victory in their opening FIH Pro League game.
But Ansell's field goal secured a well-earned victory for his team as preparations continue to ramp up ahead of the FIH Olympic Qualifier.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 3 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 6 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 7 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 8 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
The two teams meet again in the second and final Test at 2pm on Friday.
GB: Pinner, Willars, Ames, Forsyth, Martin, Roper, Dixon (C), Ansell, Condon, Sanford, Sorsby. Subs: Griffiths, Sloan, Ward, Waller, Gall, Draper. Unused: Gibson, Weir, Calnan.
*With 5,000 seats at the Lee Valley Hockey & Centre for the Olympic qualifiers, there are four categories of ticket with prices starting from just £5 for U18s, £13.50 for 18-25s and £17.50 for adults, through to premium covered, half-way line seats ranging from £19.50 to £59.50.
All tickets on general sale will be at advanced ticket prices and secure access to the venue for both matches in the day.