Hockey: Winning GB debut for Hampstead & Westminster’s Draper
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster’s Jacob Draper made a winning start to his Great Britain career as Danny Kerry’s side beat Spain in their Test series in Valencia.
The match was also a special occasion for Ian Sloan as it marked his 100th combined international appearance for England and Great Britain.
Liam Ansell scored the game's only goal in the 40th minute as he played his first game for GB since injuring an ankle in May, while Liam Sanford made a long awaited comeback from a knee injury that has kept him out of the international arena since February.
The series in Spain is acting as a warm-up for the FIH Olympic Qualifiers, with Great Britain's men taking on Malaysia on November 2-3 at Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre as they seek to book their place at Tokyo 2020.
Having starred for Wales during their recent EuroHockey campaign and part of the GB U21 side that won the Sultan of Johor Cup last year, Draper made his GB bow as he came off the bench in the sixth minute.
It was a much different affair compared to the last time the teams met in Spain, when GB came from 4-1 down to earn a thrilling 6-5 victory in their opening FIH Pro League game.
But Ansell's field goal secured a well-earned victory for his team as preparations continue to ramp up ahead of the FIH Olympic Qualifier.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 3 Camden councillors set to give themselves a pay rise
- 4 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 5 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 6 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 7 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 8 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
The two teams meet again in the second and final Test at 2pm on Friday.
GB: Pinner, Willars, Ames, Forsyth, Martin, Roper, Dixon (C), Ansell, Condon, Sanford, Sorsby. Subs: Griffiths, Sloan, Ward, Waller, Gall, Draper. Unused: Gibson, Weir, Calnan.
*With 5,000 seats at the Lee Valley Hockey & Centre for the Olympic qualifiers, there are four categories of ticket with prices starting from just £5 for U18s, £13.50 for 18-25s and £17.50 for adults, through to premium covered, half-way line seats ranging from £19.50 to £59.50.
All tickets on general sale will be at advanced ticket prices and secure access to the venue for both matches in the day.