South Hampstead pupil secures three medals at English Alpine Championships
- Credit: Archant
A South Hampstead High School pupil has been in action in the English Alpine Championships in Italy this week – and she has won two silver medals and a bronze, with her favourite event still to come.
Alicja Krahelski, 14, started skiing when she was on holiday in France with her family – and she is now a member of the England Under-16 development squad.
This week she has been competing in the Alpine town of Bormio in northern Italy, taking part in the English Alpine Championships, organised by Snowsport England.
More than 500 up and coming skiing athletes have been in action in the championships, which is running in parallel with the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia – and many of the competitors will be aiming to become Olympians themselves in 2018.
The week-long competition consists of 11 events – and Krahelski secured second place in both the Under-14 Super G Bormio and the Under-14 Super G Championship races on Saturday, before coming third in the Under-14 Ladies Giant Slalom on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Krahelski, who will also compete in the slalom tomorrow (Thursday), said: “I’m really excited to be back in Bormio, I felt happy with my performance and I’m excited for the next one.
“There’s never an average day in Bormio, every day is great. The slalom race is my favourite and I enjoy a challenge on the course. My goal is to reach the 2018 Olympics and represent Britain.”
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 3 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 4 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 6 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 7 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
Snowsport England chief executive Tim Fawke said: “The championships we run here in Bormio are an access point for many athletes to have a go at racing, and a chance to enjoy the challenges of competing. Hopefully some athletes here this year will go on to represent the country at the Olympics.”