South Hampstead High girls impress on alpine slopes yet again to earn podium places
- Credit: Archant
South Hampstead High School pupils had more to cheer at the British Schoolgirls’ Championships in the French Alps recently.
Maddy Fairfull, Hannah Sassower and Millie Whitmore, all aged 13, joined pupils from over 50 UK schools to compete in the alpine disciplines of slalom, giant slalom and the parallel at one of the most prestigious girls' ski races on the circuit.
And the trio, training with British champion Iain Innes of Precise Racing, had to tackle two days of racing in blizzards and freezing conditions in the high altitude resort of Flaine on their way to achieving impressive podiums.
Sassower was second in the under-14 giant slalom and took bronze in the slalom behind Fairfull, who lifted the cup in first place.
Meanwhile, debutant Whitmore secured fourth place in the unregistered category of the slalom as their strong team performance led to silver and bronze medals in the combiend event.
You may also want to watch:
And despite being the youngest of teams, up against experienced 18-year-old skiers, they placed ninth out of 53 teams in the slalom and 11th in the giant slalom.
South Hapmstead's ski squad also performed well at the English Schools Ski Association National Championships earlier this season.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Huge summer window awaits Daniel Levy at Tottenham Hotspur
- 9 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'
- 10 Crouch End continue unbeaten start with win at Hampstead
The Junior School squad of Evie Arnold, Audrey Curtis, Sylvia Curtis and Lottie Whitmore took bronze while the Senior School team, comprising Momo Daniel, Fairfull, Alice Whitmore and Millie Whitmore, took silver.
Their performances led to the selection of five skiers - Alice Whitmore, Sassower, Fairfull, Millie Whitmore and Daniel - for the English Schools' national ski squads, who will now train in Norway and Holland.
*South Hampstead High School offers over 20 different sports through the curriculum and a broad range of co-curricular activities before, during and after school, enabling every girl to find her sporting niche.
Their 'Going for Gold' programme supports the school's elite sportswomen competing at county, regional and national levels.