Skolars suffer home defeat against Bulls
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Betfred League One: London Skolars 12 Bradford Bulls 58
London Skolars suffered a 58-12 defeat at home to leaders Bradford Bulls on their latest outing in Betfred League One.
Just over a decade ago, Bulls were World Club Challenge champions, but financial problems and two relegations led to them making their first ever visit to the New River Stadium.
With a strong swirling breeze, Skolars tried to use the wind to their advantage with an early attempt at a 40-20 kick which gave them possession on the 10-metre line.
However, they couldn’t break the Bradford defence and after a break by James Green, the second was successful, finding touch seven metres from the tryline.
You may also want to watch:
However, they couldn’t break the defence and a break from Green from deep in his own half saw the Bulls attack, with Green going over a few minures later.
Dane Chisholm raced past the defence to score on the left, but his conversion was pulled by the wind, landing near the right corner flag.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 4 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 5 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 6 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 7 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 8 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 9 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
The first real attack on Skolars’ line saw Green push through on the right hand side. The next set saw Neil Thorman hold on at the tackle just too long and the second set of possession saw Dane Chisholm cut through the defence on the left.
His conversion looked to be fading left before the wind took it across the face of the posts, eventually just missing the corner flag on the right.
Chisholm made another break to send Ethan Ryan over. Skolars managed to put some pressure on the Bradford line. Daymeric Pelo was stopped short and Matt Fleming was held up, before Eddie Mbaraga crashed over.
Tuoyo Egodo raced down the right and Skolars’ scrambling defence couldn’t stop Ross Peltier from going over close range.
Egodo set up the first try after half-time. With an attack down the right closed down, he Egodo kicked right across the field for Ryan to catch the ball and race over the tryline. He completed his hat-trick after a try from Vila Halafihi.
Skolars used the wind to win a couple of the kick-off restarts. Lamont Bryan was held over the line on the sixth tackle, but another break from Chisholm saw the Bulls’ half-back touchdown under the posts.
There were further tries from Jordan Lilley and Brandon Pickersgill, the latter having played for Skolars on loan last season before Lameck Juma swerved out to the left to score Skolars’ second try of the afternoon. However, there was still time for Elliot Minchella to scored his 26th try of the season for Bradford.
Skolars visit Newcastle Thunder this Sunday.