Skipper Smith believes Middlesex are poised for big promotion push
MIDDLESEX skipper Ed Smith believes the Lord s outfit is in prime condition this season to gain promotion to division one of the County Championship, writes Simon Jackson. Smith s squad, who last year went up in the Pro40, narrowly missed out on a double
MIDDLESEX skipper Ed Smith believes the Lord's outfit is in prime condition this season to gain promotion to division one of the County Championship, writes Simon Jackson.
Smith's squad, who last year went up in the Pro40, narrowly missed out on a double promotion, finishing third in division two.
Middlesex, fresh from a successful training camp in Portugal, opened their campaign with a one wicket win over Essex in a friendly at Chelmsford and Smith has a clear target this season.
"We are determined to get promoted in the four day competition," said Smith, whose side open their Championship bid at Grace Road next week.
You may also want to watch:
"Last year we did well in terms of the direction of the club moving forward and the previous year we would have been promoted in both forms of the game [as] there used to be three up and three down.
"As it was we just missed promotion in the four-day competition and gained promotion in the one day competition So this season we want to get promoted in the Championship and we are also keen to push for honours in the shorter game.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points