Skipper Smith believes Middlesex are poised for big promotion push
MIDDLESEX skipper Ed Smith believes the Lord s outfit is in prime condition this season to gain promotion to division one of the County Championship, writes Simon Jackson. Smith s squad, who last year went up in the Pro40, narrowly missed out on a double
MIDDLESEX skipper Ed Smith believes the Lord's outfit is in prime condition this season to gain promotion to division one of the County Championship, writes Simon Jackson.
Smith's squad, who last year went up in the Pro40, narrowly missed out on a double promotion, finishing third in division two.
Middlesex, fresh from a successful training camp in Portugal, opened their campaign with a one wicket win over Essex in a friendly at Chelmsford and Smith has a clear target this season.
"We are determined to get promoted in the four day competition," said Smith, whose side open their Championship bid at Grace Road next week.
You may also want to watch:
"Last year we did well in terms of the direction of the club moving forward and the previous year we would have been promoted in both forms of the game [as] there used to be three up and three down.
"As it was we just missed promotion in the four-day competition and gained promotion in the one day competition So this season we want to get promoted in the Championship and we are also keen to push for honours in the shorter game.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 3 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 6 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 7 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 8 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 9 'State pension must be raised or older people face a dismal future'
- 10 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched