Shah's 72 is all in vain
Owais Shah's superb display with the bat failed to prevent England from suffering another defeat against India in the One Day International Series in Bangalore on Sunday. The rain-affected defeat handed India an unassailable 4-0 lead in the seven-match se
Owais Shah's superb display with the bat failed to prevent England from suffering another defeat against India in the One Day International Series in Bangalore on Sunday.
The rain-affected defeat handed India an unassailable 4-0 lead in the seven-match series.
Middlesex star Shah raised hopes for England when he top scored with 72 for the tourists, who were set an adjusted victory of 198 from 22 overs.
Batting at No.3, Shah sought to re-invigorate England's reply after opener Ravi Bopra was caught for one.
You may also want to watch:
Shah was joined by Andrew Flintoff (41) in the ninth over and the pair set about bagging victory for England after two defeats against Mumbai that preceded the losses in India.
But the 82-run partnership with Flintoff came to an abrupt halt when Shah was caught by Sachin Tendulkar, 65 runs short of the target.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Parliament Hill viewpoint works delayed by nesting birds
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!
The dismissal of Flintoff in the next over effectively terminated hopes of a vital victory for England.
l MIDDLESEX captain Ed Smith this week announced his retirement from first-class cricket after four years at the club, the last two as captain. See page 45 for preview of Middlesex's challenge for Champions League glory.