Premiership Cup: Saracens 29 Leicester 21

Sione Vailanu of Saracens is tackled close to the line (pic Ian Walton/PA)

Sione Vailanu of Saracens is tackled close to the line (pic Ian Walton/PA) - Credit: PA Archive/PA Images

Saracens continued their unblemished start to the season with victory over Leicester in the new Premiership Rugby Cup at Allianz Park.

The tournament replaces the Anglo-Welsh Cup and sees sides split into three pools of four teams, with the first round of fixtures this weekend.

Saracens went into the clash with eight wins from eight this season and held off a fightback from Leicester to make it nine out of nine.

Joe Ford scored the first points for the Tigers with a penalty in the second minute but Schalk Burger crossed the try line in the seventh minute and another try from Sione Vailanu as well as a penalty from Max Malins made it 13-9 at half-time.

Saracens pulled away as Vailanu scored another try, converted by Malins, who also added two more penalties, but a 62nd-minute David Feao converted try closed the gap.

Tigers’ hopes were further enhanced by a try from Harry Wells with 10 minutes remaining, but Saracens held on.

Northampton claimed a big victory over Bristol, scoring seven tries in a 51-24 victory.

Most Read

Saints crossed twice in the first 10 minutes through James Grayson and Francois van Wyk and led 30-5 at half-time, with Bristol’s only score in the first 40 minutes coming from a Tom Farara-Lindsay try.

The second half was much more even, with both teams scoring three tries, but the damage for Bristol had already been done. Grayson ended up with 19 points.

Gloucester claimed a second win of the season against Wasps, triumphing 31-7 at Kingsholm.

Gloucester led 24-0 at half-time, with Cameron Terry scoring the opening try on his debut, and it stayed that way until late on, when Joe Mullis crossed again for the hosts before a converted try from Alfie Barbeary finally got Wasps on the board.

Demetri Catrakilis contributed 14 points as Harlequins defeated Bath 27-19. The hosts outscored their visitors three tries to two but four penalties from Catrakilis and one from James Lang proved the difference.