Saracens young star Maro Itoje ‘ecstatic’ after England Saxons call-up
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Saracens’ Maro Itoje is “ecstatic” with his England Saxons call-up, after the lock forward was included in the 24-man squad for the upcoming game against the Irish Wolfhounds on January 30.
Itoje, who captained England’s Under-20s when they won the Junior World Championship last June and recently led Saracens Storm to the club’s first ever A-League title, has been named alongside team-mate Chris Ashton in the Saxons squad.
Itoje said: “I’m massively honoured and it’s something that I wasn’t really expecting. I’m really privileged to have been called up and I’m very happy with the news.
“I got the call from Graham [Rowntree] and I was ecstatic when I heard that I’d be involved. I told my brother and my parents and they were over the moon.
“Obviously this is a great a step for me, and it will give me the opportunity to play on a bigger scale. I’ll be in a different environment, so I need to continue to keep working hard.
You may also want to watch:
“Just being part of the squad is what I’m really looking forward to. This is my first senior England involvement, so I’m looking forward to training and hopefully I’ll be able to thrive in this environment.”
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 5 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 8 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue