Saracens young star Maro Itoje ‘ecstatic’ after England Saxons call-up
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Saracens’ Maro Itoje is “ecstatic” with his England Saxons call-up, after the lock forward was included in the 24-man squad for the upcoming game against the Irish Wolfhounds on January 30.
Itoje, who captained England’s Under-20s when they won the Junior World Championship last June and recently led Saracens Storm to the club’s first ever A-League title, has been named alongside team-mate Chris Ashton in the Saxons squad.
Itoje said: “I’m massively honoured and it’s something that I wasn’t really expecting. I’m really privileged to have been called up and I’m very happy with the news.
“I got the call from Graham [Rowntree] and I was ecstatic when I heard that I’d be involved. I told my brother and my parents and they were over the moon.
“Obviously this is a great a step for me, and it will give me the opportunity to play on a bigger scale. I’ll be in a different environment, so I need to continue to keep working hard.
“Just being part of the squad is what I’m really looking forward to. This is my first senior England involvement, so I’m looking forward to training and hopefully I’ll be able to thrive in this environment.”
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 7 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 8 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 9 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 10 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'