Saracens’ Spencer gets World Cup call
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Saracens’ Ben Spencer is set to make his Rugby World Cup debut in the tournament’s final after Willi Heinz was ruled out by a hamstring problem sustained against New Zealand.
Heinz came on in the 63rd minute of the stunning 19-7 semi-final victory over the All Blacks on Saturday, which has booked England a final berth against either South Africa or Wales next weekend.
While the Gloucester half-back struggled on until the end, the Rugby Football Union has confirmed he will play no further part in the tournament and have summoned Spencer to Japan.
Scrum-half Spencer has won three caps as a replacement and will perform the same role as deputy to Ben Youngs at International Stadium Yokohama.
The 27-year-old made his debut on England's 2018 tour of South Africa and he has made a strong start to the current domestic campaign, scoring 48 points in three matches for Saracens.
You may also want to watch:
Spencer becomes the ninth member of Saracens in Eddie Jones' England squad, which has a number of injury concerns ahead of the final with Owen Farrell and Jonny May nursing dead legs, while prop Kyle Sinckler has a calf issue.
Anthony Watson was able to finish the semi-final demolition of New Zealand but he received regular treatment during the game for an unspecified knock.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 4 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 8 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 9 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke
Meanwhile, Heinz will stay with the squad at their training base in Tokyo.