Saracens fly half Owen Farrell to start first Test for British & Irish Lions against New Zealand
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England international shrugs off quad strain to start against the All Blacks in Auckland
Saracens fly half Owen Farrell has overcome a quad strain to be named in the British & Irish Lions starting XV to face New Zealand in the first Test on Saturday.
The 25-year-old was withdrawn from the squad to face the Maori All Blacks last Saturday and there were fears he would miss the clash this weekend in Auckland.
However, Farrell has been passed fit and has edged Irish rival Johnny Sexton for the starting berth at 10.
Sarries team mates Mako Vunipola, Jamie George and George Kruis start at prop, hooker and lock respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Wales international Liam Williams, who will move to Allianz Park following the tour, will start at fullback after an impressive showing on Tuesday against Super Rugby side the Chiefs.
However, Saracens lock Maro Itoje has to settle for a place on the bench despite scoring a try against the Maori last Saturday.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
Ireland flanker Peter O’Mahony will skipper the team, with tour captain Sam Warburton on the bench.
Lions XV to face New Zealand: L Williams (Wales/Scarlets); A Watson (England/Bath), J Davies (Wales/Scarlets), B Te’o (England/Worcester Warriors), E Daly (England/Wasps); O Farrell (England/Saracens), C Murray (Ireland/Munster); M Vunipola (England/Saracens), J George (England/Saracens), T Furlong (Ireland/Leinster); A W Jones (Wales/Ospreys), G Kruis (England/Saracens); P O’Mahony (Ireland/Munster), S O’Brien (Ireland/Leinster); T Faletau (Wales/Bath).
Replacements: K Owens (Wales/Scarlets), J McGrath (Ireland/Leinster), K Sinckler (England/Harlequins), M Itoje (England/Saracens), S Warburton (Wales/Cardiff Blues), R Webb (Wales/Ospreys), J Sexton (Ireland/Leinster), L Halfpenny (Wales/Toulon).