Saracens fly half Owen Farrell to start first Test for British & Irish Lions against New Zealand
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England international shrugs off quad strain to start against the All Blacks in Auckland
Saracens fly half Owen Farrell has overcome a quad strain to be named in the British & Irish Lions starting XV to face New Zealand in the first Test on Saturday.
The 25-year-old was withdrawn from the squad to face the Maori All Blacks last Saturday and there were fears he would miss the clash this weekend in Auckland.
However, Farrell has been passed fit and has edged Irish rival Johnny Sexton for the starting berth at 10.
Sarries team mates Mako Vunipola, Jamie George and George Kruis start at prop, hooker and lock respectively.
Wales international Liam Williams, who will move to Allianz Park following the tour, will start at fullback after an impressive showing on Tuesday against Super Rugby side the Chiefs.
However, Saracens lock Maro Itoje has to settle for a place on the bench despite scoring a try against the Maori last Saturday.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 5 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
Ireland flanker Peter O’Mahony will skipper the team, with tour captain Sam Warburton on the bench.
Lions XV to face New Zealand: L Williams (Wales/Scarlets); A Watson (England/Bath), J Davies (Wales/Scarlets), B Te’o (England/Worcester Warriors), E Daly (England/Wasps); O Farrell (England/Saracens), C Murray (Ireland/Munster); M Vunipola (England/Saracens), J George (England/Saracens), T Furlong (Ireland/Leinster); A W Jones (Wales/Ospreys), G Kruis (England/Saracens); P O’Mahony (Ireland/Munster), S O’Brien (Ireland/Leinster); T Faletau (Wales/Bath).
Replacements: K Owens (Wales/Scarlets), J McGrath (Ireland/Leinster), K Sinckler (England/Harlequins), M Itoje (England/Saracens), S Warburton (Wales/Cardiff Blues), R Webb (Wales/Ospreys), J Sexton (Ireland/Leinster), L Halfpenny (Wales/Toulon).