Farrell leads Saracens contingent in England squad for Six Nations
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Seven Sarries players in 35-man squad for first game of tournament
Saracens fly-half Owen Farrell looks set to captain England in their opening game of this year’s Six Nations against Ireland in Dublin on February 2.
Farrell is one of seven Sarries players named in Eddie Jones’ 35-man squad for their first fixture.
With fellow co-captain Dylan Hartley missing through injury, it seems Farrell will lead his side against the defending champions next month.
Also named in the England squad are club colleagues Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Billy Vunipola and Ben Earl, who is yet to make his senior international bow.
Saracens fullback Alex Goode, who has been in scintillating form this term, has surprisingly been overlooked, as have centres Alex Lozowski and Nick Tompkins, scrum-halves Richard Wigglesworth and Ben Spencer, lock Nick Isiekwe and flankers Michael Rhodes and Jackson Wray.
The 35-man England squad will head out to Portugal next week for a training camp ahead of their match against Ireland on February 2.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 7 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 8 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 9 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 10 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
Saracens wings Liam Williams and Sean Maitland have been named in the Wales and Scotland squads respectively for the opening two rounds of this year’s Six Nations.