Saracens’ defence of Anglo-Welsh Cup ends with Tigers mauling

Freddie Burns scored 17 points as Leicester Tigers defeated Saracens in the Anglo-Welsh Cup. Picture

Freddie Burns scored 17 points as Leicester Tigers defeated Saracens in the Anglo-Welsh Cup. Picture: DAVID DAVIES/PA WIRE - Credit: PA Wire/PA Images

Saracens’ Anglo-Welsh Cup defence came to a bitter end after a 32-10 loss to Leicester Tigers in the semi-final at Allianz Park.

Tigers fly-half Freddie Burns scored 17 points to propel his side into their first final since their successful Premiership campaign in 2012-13.

It was also Saracens first home defeat this year.

A penalty from Burns and two converted tries from George Worth and Luke Hamilton put Leicester into a 17-5 half-time lead, scrum-half Henry Taylor getting the only home score.

And the visitors picked up where they left off after the break with prop Ellis Genge crossing from short range.

A further Burns penalty kept the scoreboard out of the defending champions’ reach and with Saracens continuing to produce errors, an intercepted pass gave Burns a 70-metre run to the line.

Matt Gallagher scored his team’s only points in the second period as Saracens lacked a cutting edge so often seen in the competition this season.

Most Read

Academy coach Ian Vass said: “We couldn’t get into any flow in the game and the couple of times we did we looked quite good and we scored a couple of tries but it didn’t happy very often.”

“Maybe they had a bit more experience than us but I don’t think that was the real reason we lost the game. They played well and took their chances and I suppose we didn’t take as many chances and the score line got a bit bigger than it should have.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter