Saracens bolster double-winning squad by signing Sean Maitland and Vincent Koch
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Saracens have quickly bolstered their double-winning squad with two signings, having agreed deals to bring Scotland wing Sean Maitland and South Africa prop Vincent Koch to Allianz Park.
The pair have both agreed two-year deals and have become the Hendon club’s fifth and sixth recruits, following the arrivals of Schalk Burger, Mark Flanagan, Alex Lozowski and Save Rawaca.
Saracens’ director of rugby Mark McCall said: “Having already announced a number of signings earlier this year, we are pleased to have finally secured each of our targets.
“We identified Vincent as a player who could make a significant contribution to the squad at tight-head prop and, at 26, he is a player with huge potential.
“Sean is a highly experienced and proven international three-quarter, and we believe that he will flourish here.
“Both players are exactly the kind of characters we think will thrive in our environment, and we are confident they will become key players for Saracens.”
Maitland, who can play as a winger or full-back, has 21 caps for Scotland and is now on tour in Japan with his country, while he was part of the British & Irish Lions squad that travelled to Australia in 2013.
- 1 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 2 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 3 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 4 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 5 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 6 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 7 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 8 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 9 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 10 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
The 27-year-old was part of the London Irish outfit that was relegated from the Premiership last season, but he is immediately returning to the top flight to join the champions.
“When I was approached about joining Saracens I had no hesitation in accepting the opportunity to join up with their squad,” he said.
“The results they have achieved this season speak for themselves but what really appealed was the burning desire from the coaches to continuously improve and evolve. I think the surface at Allianz Park will suit my game and I look forward to meeting up with my new team-mates in the summer.
“I’ve really enjoyed my time at London Irish this season, despite the obvious disappointment in getting relegated. There are some great people and players there, and I am sure that the talent within the squad will see them back in the Premiership in 2017/18.”
Koch, who has been capped twice by the Springboks and is currently preparing to face England Saxons with South Africa A, is arriving in north London after a spell with Cape Town Super Rugby franchise Stormers.
“I am very honoured and privileged to join a champion team like Sarries,” he said. “Ever since I visited Saracens I just knew that they would be the perfect club for me. I’m really looking forward to joining the boys for the upcoming season, to begin the hard work for the 2016/17 campaign.”