Taylor says Saracens can be happy with first pre-season run out after win at Bedford
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Sarries collected a 57-15 victory last Saturday and host Ospreys at the HAC Grounds on Thursday
Saracens centre Duncan Taylor says there were plenty of positives to take from a 57-15 win at Bedford Blues in a pre-season friendly last Saturday.
Sarries kicked off their run of pre-season friendlies by running in 10 tries, including a hat-trick from Sione Vailanu, at the Greene King IPA Championship club.
The north Londoners saw their preparations for the new term step up with their first friendly game after putting in the hard graft in training.
And Taylor says the squad can be happy with the run-out at Bedford, but knows there areas that can be worked on.
“We created a lot of opportunities in the game, especially in the first half, but we didn’t quite convert them,” he told the club website.
“In the second half, we were far more clinical and managed to convert a lot of our opportunities.
- 1 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 4 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 5 'First public sculpture' of Mother of Methodism carved in East Finchley
- 6 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 7 Full fibre broadband rollout coming to Crouch End and Barking
- 8 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 9 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 10 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
“Bedford are a team that will always come at you; they have some unbelievable talent in their side and they always like to run the ball.
“We knew we were going to be tested defensively, but the boys stood up to it the majority of the time. There are still things we need to work on, but for a first hit out, the boys can be pretty proud of themselves. We really took it to Bedford and that was really good to see.”
Saracens round their pre-season campaign on Thursday night when they tackle Guinness Pro14 outfit Ospreys at the HAC Grounds.
The match is the latest in a string of pre-season friendly games that the Allianz Park outfit have taken to the central London location.
And Taylor is looking forward to playing in the venue once again this summer as Sarries build towards the start of the new campaign.
“HAC is always a great venue to play at and playing there is something we always look forward to every year,” added the Scotland international.
“It’s a perfect pitch and Ospreys will provide great opposition as well. We know them well from playing them in European competition in the last couple of years.
“It will be another great game and another great test for us, so it should be a good way to finish pre-season.”