Skolars beaten at Workington in final away game

PUBLISHED: 14:00 18 September 2018 | UPDATED: 16:32 18 September 2018

The latest rugby league news (pic: Mike Egerton/PA)

The latest rugby league news (pic: Mike Egerton/PA)

PA Archive/PA Images

Betfred League One: Workington Town 38 London Skolars 6

London Skolars’ final away game of the season in Betfred League One ended in a 38-6 defeat at Workington Town.

The visitors were put under pressure early on which eventually told when Tylar Mellor dotted down for Town.

A penalty for obstruction gave the hosts another chance to attack and Sean Penkywicz’s pass opened up a gap for Tyler Dickinson to go in under the posts.

Skolars forced an error from the kick-off, but lost possession early in the tackle count.

Rob Butler put in a big tackle to stop New Zealand and Tongan international Fuifui Moimoi, but when Skolars next had the ball, they again lost possession near the line.

When a long kick went dead, London’s Matt Fleming obstructed Sam Forrester as he brought the ball to the 20-metre restart and was yellow carded.

The visitors worked hard while a man down, with Mike Bishay taking over the fullback role.

Despite a strong run from Jordan Williams, the closest Skolars got to the line was when Lameck Juma was held up on it.

Two minutes after Fleming returned, London transgressed again with Mike Greenhalgh being sin-binned for obstruction.

The visitors held out to half-time, but Town scored early in the second perios when Jamie Doran kicked to the right for Scott Rooke to score in the corner.

A break down the right by Skolars saw Fleming go over in the corner, but he was stopped from grounding the ball by a kick in the tackle.

A penalty try was awarded for that offence by the hosts and the resultant conversion for Charlie Lawrence was made under the posts.

Workington responded quickly, with Oliver Wilkes strolling through the centre of the defence.

Fleming looked to have scored his second after a kick-and-chase, but that was ruled out for offside.

Billy Driver was unfortunate to be sin-binned when he collided with the referee after trying to avoid running into Michael Sykes and Skolars had another ten minute period with 12 men.

That took its toll with Carl Forber kicking into space on for Rooke to score on the right wing again.

There was no stopping Moimoi as he went over from close range with Forber kicking his fifth goal of the afternoon.

Skolars are back in action at the Trailfinders Sports Ground in Ealing on Saturday when they host Oldham in their final game of the season.

If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express